Open top tanks, who has them..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
Cool. I'll give the open top a try.. Gonna be 2 weeks before I get my plants in. But it's good. At least I'll have everything else here before the plants show. Why do I have the strange feeling that my 20 gallon will become a over grow tank along with this 10g tank by my desk. heh.

Ratlova30

AC Members
Apr 2, 2010
Washington
Real Name
Chelsea
I've had problems with loaches, danios and bettas jumping out. I do have quite a few open top tanks due to me being a very cheap person but it comes with a risk

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
I have over a dozen open top tanks. Have had a few jumpers, a danio here and there, one overshooting cory (i saw him do it and put him back in, lol). With the jumper tanks I just keep the water down an inch or two and that seems to have done the trick.

However I did have a tank with several JD fry and they jumped, I found 2 or 3 jumpers that went at some point during the night . This happened 2 days in a row and I put egg crate over their tank.

James0816

AC Members
Feb 14, 2007
All my tanks are open tops. I either have the lights mounted on legs or suspended from the ceiling. Personally....it think it gives it a nicer look if you ask me.

Plague

O.o
Aug 4, 2010
Miami, Fl
I have open top with betta, cory, danio, and kuhlii. Funny thing is that the only fish that has ever jumped from my tank are NEON tetra wtf...

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
My two tanks have a canopy but no glass cover. In the last 10 years, have had only 3 fishes jump out and I saved one of them.

It does have a lot of evaporation.

Lise

AC Members
Oct 13, 2010
I wish I could have an open top but my blackskirt tetras love to jump when its dinnertime!

Nocturnus

AC Members
Feb 26, 2004
Central Texas
www.photo-mojo.net
Real Name
Ed
Camera Used
Canon 70d
I've used the needlepoint stuff for other things. but to cover a 48x18 tank with it, that's a lot of 8x11 squares. I did find a place online that sells clear monofiliment fishing net material. So I can get some that's got 1/4" openings and then use my window screen frame and to that. No light loss and some protection.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store