Opinion: Ghost shrimp affecting bioload

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyguy83

AC Members
May 11, 2006
Erie, PA, US
I haven't actually had a huge problem with it yet (although I know I will sooner or later). I've had one batch of fry with only 8, and I have no idea how the number stayed that small. For long term, I'm considering giving the fry (and possibly the adult females) to my girlfriend to keep/feed to her small red-earred slider if she will agree to improve the water quality in the tank she keeps him in (I'll probably end up doing it).

Before people post about a red earred slider being large enough to eat a full grown guppy in one bite, she has a small one. We call it a red-ear because it does have the red stripe on its head, but she's had it for 2 years and it hasn't grown past a 4 inch size.

As an immediate solution, an LFS might be willing to take the fry off your hands. Thats what I did with that first little batch. If you're really lucky, they might even give you a small store credit for them. Mine didn't.

nerdyguy83

AC Members
May 11, 2006
Erie, PA, US
As a further suggestion. If you try really hard to keep tank conditions (temperature, water quality, tank mates, etc.) consistant that will supposedly keep livebearers from breeding. I have no idea if that works since my tank hasn't been up for a real long time, but it is what I have heard.

Jolly Mon

Tank Scrubber
Mar 7, 2006
Maryland
Wouldn't your other fish eat the shrimp? Iput 10 ghost shrimp in my tank and they lasted about a week.

nerdyguy83

AC Members
May 11, 2006
Erie, PA, US
I've wondered about that too. If you can find fully or nearly grown ghosts, there is no way a guppy or a platy is going to munch on it, but my dealer is supposedly getting a couple thusand in on thursday which suggests that they will be really tiny. I am still undecided as of what to do

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store