Opinions wanted on $400.00 skimmer choice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Tomtoro,

I'm in the exact same situation you're in. Been researching it for a while.

someone on reefcentral recommended a "Bermuda" skimmer. There isn't much info out there, but here's the link.. maybe something to look into.

http://www.bermudaaquatics.com/3C.htm

They're not too price, considering how good a skimmer they claim to be.

I was going to purchase one, but I decided against it. I'm from Canada, and the company doesn't have any resellers here. I was a little afraid that should I have needed support, or tips on adjustments, or spare parts, it wouldn't be as easy to get, as it would with a more popular skimmer.

Besides that, I looked at :

-Euroreefs,
-Deltec,
-ASM,

but as of yet, I'm still undecided with which to go with .

Good luck!

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I was at the Mystic Aquarium this weekend and I was checking out the equipment they run on their touch pool, since its all out in the open. The skimmer was an ETSS, i think it may have been this one:

http://championlighting.com/product.php?productid=18270&cat=517&page=1

Its a little out of your price range, but maybe some of the smaller ones would work, since this skimmer was probably on at least a 600gal system.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
I was at the Mystic Aquarium this weekend and I was checking out the equipment they run on their touch pool, since its all out in the open. The skimmer was an ETSS, i think it may have been this one:

http://championlighting.com/product.php?productid=18270&cat=517&page=1

Its a little out of your price range, but maybe some of the smaller ones would work, since this skimmer was probably on at least a 600gal system.
Those things do kick you know what. The etss line is definitely on my list, but yeah, a much smaller one. I actually use an etss 800 on my large tank. Uses a lot of electricity, though with the iwaki 55.
Thanks,
Tom

Last edited:

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Tomtoro,

I'm in the exact same situation you're in. Been researching it for a while.

someone on reefcentral recommended a "Bermuda" skimmer. There isn't much info out there, but here's the link.. maybe something to look into.

http://www.bermudaaquatics.com/3C.htm

They're not too price, considering how good a skimmer they claim to be.

I was going to purchase one, but I decided against it. I'm from Canada, and the company doesn't have any resellers here. I was a little afraid that should I have needed support, or tips on adjustments, or spare parts, it wouldn't be as easy to get, as it would with a more popular skimmer.

Besides that, I looked at :

-Euroreefs,
-Deltec,
-ASM,

but as of yet, I'm still undecided with which to go with .

Good luck!
Hey Cheech,
I'm a little leary of the 'new' stuff. Heck, I'm leary of the old stuff:) until I get enough reefers telling me good stories about 'em. I guess I just want to do this once and get it over with. I've thrown good money after bad trying to get a 'deal' on a sub-par skimmer for this tank. The closet is littered with Excaliburs,A clone of the etss 800,AquaC Remora,Berlin HOT, even(embarrassed to say)skilter for God's sake. If I took all that money and put it into one skimmer, I could have a nice Deltec now.

I'm still waiting for somebody to say they have THE skimmer for 400.00 that is incredible and this is the brand... Even talking to the vendors, nobody is raving about anything they're selling. Oh well, enough of this whining. I'm picking something...soon.

Thanks and good luck to you. Tell me what you end up getting.
Tom

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
Hey Cheech,
I'm a little leary of the 'new' stuff. Heck, I'm leary of the old stuff:) until I get enough reefers telling me good stories about 'em. I guess I just want to do this once and get it over with. I've thrown good money after bad trying to get a 'deal' on a sub-par skimmer for this tank. The closet is littered with Excaliburs,A clone of the etss 800,AquaC Remora,Berlin HOT, even(embarrassed to say)skilter for God's sake. If I took all that money and put it into one skimmer, I could have a nice Deltec now.

I'm still waiting for somebody to say they have THE skimmer for 400.00 that is incredible and this is the brand... Even talking to the vendors, nobody is raving about anything they're selling. Oh well, enough of this whining. I'm picking something...soon.

Thanks and good luck to you. Tell me what you end up getting.
Tom

lol.... We're in the same boat.

I've finally decided to wait on the skimmer. I'd rather spend the money I have now on properly setting upt he tank/sump/mangrove fuge. gonna fill it up with sand, live rock, got some lighting to add.

All that should cost a pretty penny.... After I get everything setup, I'll look into adding an external skimmer.

I figure the longer I wait, The less chance I'll have to possibly regret my skimmer purchase. . :D All in all, we're spending 400$ on an acrylic cylindrical tube... Better make sure that it's the best one out there, for the price!! lol

SHK_ATK

Clam Chowda
Nov 4, 2006
(805)-CA (336)-NC
im running a downdraft skimmer rated for a 500G+ tank, I got it from a guy who was getting rid of all his tank and equipment, for $100!!! the thing stands 27" tall so It had to be plumbed from the outside of the sump. a Mag 4 power this beast, so far so good. If I were buying one I would go w/ a oct. or euro.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
im running a downdraft skimmer rated for a 500G+ tank, I got it from a guy who was getting rid of all his tank and equipment, for $100!!! the thing stands 27" tall so It had to be plumbed from the outside of the sump. a Mag 4 power this beast, so far so good. If I were buying one I would go w/ a oct. or euro.
Downdrafts are awesome. I have one on my large tank(etss 800 w/iwaki 55) and I like it a lot, but it was a lot more than 400.00 especially with the pump.

This one will be to fine tune the 100g reef. Anyway, I ended up with the dnw200. This thing is huge. Now to find somebody to show me how to use it properly. It didn't come with instructions.

Thanks for the help, everybody,
Tom

Nhrafan26

Off and on user
Mar 2, 2008
Read this after doing a search for Bermuda skimmer. I am purchasing a 150G aquarium (the new 36" series that came out) and the LFS recommended this model for me.
What are opinions on this? Anything else that would be cheaper or just as good or better for the price?

Price quoted was $295.

Lots more questions to come... I'm sure.

Thanks.

TomToro

The Old Guy
Oct 21, 2006
Michigan
s122.photobucket.com
Well, I ended up buying an Octopus dnw 200. I liked it well enough, but ended up finding a great deal on an etss 800 with an Iwaki 55rlt just like my other one so I bought it. Again, one heck of a skimmer and didn't let me down as I suspected. Pulling amazing amounts of crapola out of there.

The Octopus is still a very good skimmer, but I couldn't pass up this deal.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store