oranda sitting oh the bottom

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

acevudoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
perhaps SHE is gravid? i have had that happen.. watch fer "booty scuffing" to facilitate egg release.. any other carp up her skirt?

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Lake County IL (north of cook)
She released eggs earlier in the year, there is a male fantail in there but i dont see or hear him going after her. My female comet loves to push them around though. Gets up under neath both the fantails and pushes them around inthe water, I guess you what you would call play time. It doesnt happen all day long though

acevudoo

AC Members
Dec 4, 2008
Chicago
if it came to medication ... i would use a air-powered sponge filter (not to torrential).. ponds salt, and a small heater.. then look into meds. (like-- Maracide) 20gal is a pretty good Medical size an you dont have to fill to the top! is it a 20L or High or Ex-High? anyway ratios would be consistent.. the best remedy is to go slow... Big Goldfish are easy to screw up but hard to kill for some reason

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Wish I could help, I have one goldfish doing the same thing. She's been like that for 3 days, so far.

I can tell you the visible blood veins in the fins/tail are a sign of stress. So that's another symptom; not the cause of the problem. No wonder there, she's struggling hard to swim around.. it's real hard to reach the surface.. something is wrong and she doesn't feel well.

Hope someone with more expertise can offer more info.

Best of luck with your goldie.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Well good news I guess. I fasted her for 2 days, and I just got home and turned the lights on. There she is up about and swimming. Shes still swimming around looking at me waiting for food. I guess maybe I will give them a tiny meal tonight just to get her belly going again then get back into strict feeding vegetables/fruit and peas again like I used to. So I guess in conclusion, fasting did the trick, hopefully. Thanks all

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
Well good news I guess. I fasted her for 2 days, and I just got home and turned the lights on. There she is up about and swimming. Shes still swimming around looking at me waiting for food. I guess maybe I will give them a tiny meal tonight just to get her belly going again then get back into strict feeding vegetables/fruit and peas again like I used to. So I guess in conclusion, fasting did the trick, hopefully. Thanks all
Is she still recovered and doing well?

I couldn't get mine to eat the smushed pea... so I floated duckweed in their tank that I was growing in another one. That solved everything. The next day, they all pushed out long strands of green poo. lol. And a day after that, she was back to normal - swimming around in the bubbles like a very silly fish.

ITHURTZ

BIG BOSS
Apr 19, 2007
Well after the fast I fed her a small amount and back to the bottom she went. I fasted her for 2 more days and shes the same ol goldfish now. Swimming around begging for food and playing with my calico and comet goldfish. So now I try to feed 2 smaller portions throughout the day vs a nice meal at night.

I wanna feed duckweed to my fish I think in the summer time Ill get like a 10gal tank get some from a pond and let it sit outside in the sunlight. Im sure they would love that stuff

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
^I give mine a weekly dose of duckweed. keeps them feeling frisky.

I give them a great handful of it the day before a water change. They don't digest the cellulose so it looks a bit nasty the next morning in there.

I grow my duckweed in my 15 gallon QT tank with two 15W CFL's on 24 hours a day. I dose it twice a week with ferts and the stuff grows like mad. No algae problems in that tank.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
^I give mine a weekly dose of duckweed. keeps them feeling frisky.

I give them a great handful of it the day before a water change. They don't digest the cellulose so it looks a bit nasty the next morning in there.

I grow my duckweed in my 15 gallon QT tank with two 15W CFL's on 24 hours a day. I dose it twice a week with ferts and the stuff grows like mad. No algae problems in that tank.
Looks nasty... how do you mean? Mine have been nibbling on the duckweed sporadically, other than that big feast of it they had when I first put it in the tank. That's been about a week and everything still looks fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store