orange assorted african cichlids red zebras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
alright. because my sis is taking me and she wud be pissed if we went up just to get pics. and they have a 15 day return policy if they die and a 30 day if they are still alive.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
There is nothing wrong with healthy, beautiful hybrids or mbunas that are not 'known' to be pure. It is almost impossible to know if they are pure and since the only thing that matters is that they are mbunas there isn't anything to worry about.

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
still i like how the behavior of the red zebra is described. and they are beautiful looking fish.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
...It is almost impossible to know if they are pure...
That may all depend. Many (but not all) hybrids can be identified as being such due to obvious or subtle discrepancies of conformation to a particular species (unless, of course, they're hybrids from two very similar species).

A l. caeruleus/m. estherae hybrid should be fairly easy to spot while a male m. johanni/m. cyaneorhabdos hybrid might pass for the species of either parent (at least when matured).

AquariumNoob13

I AM NOT A N00B!
Aug 27, 2007
Bonita, Ca
and a hybrid zebra tends to have a lighter slight yellowish color if it is crossed with a yellow lab which is the most common hybrid right?

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
With some you can tell they ARE NOT pure, but truly knowing if an individual IS pure cna be much harder. I see no point in worrying about it anyways. If they are healthy, beautiful mbunas then they are healthy, beautiful mbunas.

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
and a hybrid zebra tends to have a lighter slight yellowish color if it is crossed with a yellow lab which is the most common hybrid right?
Due to the variation margin which can exist among red zebras (deep carrot orange to pink-tinted white, and even blue for those originating from Minos Reef in Lake Malawi), body shape and head shape will be the primary indicator. Sometimes they'll look like bulky yellow labs but more orange in color.

Red zebras are so commonly available, the odds are in your favor that they're not hybrids.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
assorted african tanks are rarely going to contain pure strain species - can still get a nice fish out of them, but most likely a mutt.

ibr3ak

I Eat Fish
Dec 15, 2007
Brooklyn, An Why See
assorted african tanks are rarely going to contain pure strain species - can still get a nice fish out of them, but most likely a mutt.
That would really depend on the store, in big chains yea you mostly get hybrids in a mixed tank, but in smaller lfs's (or at least the one I'm getting my fish from) they have pure breds in their mixed tanks, you do get an occasional yellow lab with bearding or a red zebra with tiny black blotches (not OB, which mostly disappear as the fish matures), but that's as "bad" as it gets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store