Oscar Tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KingOfTheDeep

All Hail The King
Nov 2, 2005
New York City
Real Name
Dan
i love it when people spew regurgitated info, without their own experiences. especially when they have an elitest attitude while spewing.

you can put a couple other fish with a 4" oscar in a 55gallon tank, so long as you commit to the upgrade you said you would get in your first post (you guys miss that?) be sure to perform your weekly water changes, and you'll be fine.

filters that move at least 350gph would be a plus as well.

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Of course he can keep some more fish in that tank right now... but From Experience, upgrade plans dont always work out as we hope. Maybe you will have the $$ in 6 months time, or maybe not. Putting more fish in the tank just brings foward the day when you MUST upgrade. Just the 2 fish, if he has to postpone for 12 months, well it's possible. Stick 2 or 3 more fish in there, which the tank could handle right now, and 6 months time he MUST upgrade, and not just to a 90gal either.

I'm not slamming the original poster, they know it's a temporary setup, I have almost the same thing going on here, so I am speaking from experience. If I had added more fish with the baby Oscar I would HAVE to move them to the bigger tank about now. As it is, they are still fine after 5 months, and I have time to finish the new tank stand and sumps, which have been delayed through ill health.

Ian

Davy

AC Members
Jun 16, 2008
OKC, OK
Don't forget you are also losing a full foot in length. That cuts down on the needed swimming room and surface exchange both fish need. Sorry, overall that's worse than a 55. A 75 is 48x18.5 and a 50 is 36x19. You gain a theoretical 1/2 in width which really gives you no advantage except to lose 5 gallons of water and 12" in length.

oh yeah, that is true. well i guess its a good thing i never wanted an oscar! :p

FishPish

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I'm sure its not the fact that you have an oscar. The problem is that one fish is basically limiting what you can put in there in numbers and species.

Alec2cool

AC Members
Feb 18, 2010
Central Indiana
Real Name
Alec
Thanks KingoftheDeep. I will be upgrading very soon for people who are wondering. I just notice my oscar misses the tankmates he had when he was much younger and alot less aggressive. I notice it because he doesnt swim around nemore, he just stays on the corner thats closest to my 37g and watches my rainbowfish and tiger barbs play tag. All day

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store