Other fish in my convict tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

japbart

AC Members
Jun 9, 2012
On a 40 breeder you wouldn't be able to keep them with any other cichlids. Unless you do 1 con and 1 FM of the same sex (or either sex if you want hybrids). I kept my marbled cons before with some buenos aires tetras. These fish can take a beating and they're fast. I only added target fish cause I didn't want my pair to turn in each other.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
When your cons go into breeding mode, which will be soon and often, they WILL kill anything else in the tank. They'll kill a jd, firemouth, jag, and I've even heard from a breeders on mfk that his has killed a flowerhorn and midas. Breeding cons are no joke. You can keep a pair of males or females in a cichlid community but a breeding pair is a solo event.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Do you think a couple Cana snails would be ok in their tank?

I have decided to make a species tank :)

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
What's a cana snail? I searched for it on Google but came up with nothing.

Cons don't naturally eat snails so unless it's a bigger snail (cons will be able to get at the meat easier) I think they'll be ok.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Do you think they would hurt it?

And on the opposite side ... Down the road if I got only one convict would that open my tank for more options? Firemouths, Jack Dempseys , Etc?

I was told they love ramshorn snails because they have fragile shells ... the tank they are going in is infested, they will LOVE it

Hr0th9ar

AC Members
Sep 8, 2012
Winton, CA
Monster! pomacea canaliculata
Gotcha, thanks.

Do you think they would hurt it?

And on the opposite side... Down the road if I got only one convict would that open my tank for more options? Firemouths, Jack Dempseys , Etc?

I was told they love ramshorn snails because they have fragile shells... The tank they are going in is infested, they will LOVE it
They might, just to get at it's meat tho. So if you keep them together make sure to keep the cons well fed.

If you got one con or a pair of the same sex you could do a firemouth or other similar sized cichlid ~5-6" it's really your tank length that's limiting your options.
Jd's need at least a 4 foot tank so that's a no go. They are super shy anyway, not a fun fish to keep.

Sent from my SGS4 Active

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
I have a 40 long as well ... I would just prefer not to pull it out if I don't have to as we may be moving this summer.

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
we will see ... this is our first place of our own so A LOT is in the air :) Its nerveracking but exciting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store