oto cat feeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Mar 29, 2007
take some rocks, lots of rocks would be better, put them in a large sealed clear plastic or glass container, fill it with tank water, maybe add some ferts, put it in a spot that gets the most direct sunlight. Get a good thick algae growth on the rocks, place the rocks in your tank the day you leave. If you do it right you should have enough algae for them to eat.

etspam

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
I've had my oto cats for a couple of days now, and am wondering how long it will take for me to see the brown algae decrease significantly. I see them occasionally sucking on some surfaces with brown algae, but they don't seem to be actually seeking it out and are bypassing huge surfaces with lots of brown algae, including on the glass. Not sure if they can't find it or something. I've only fed my skunk cories once with shrimp pellets these past couple of days, just in case they prefer that to brown algae. I've read some forums where the oto cats have cleaned out tanks with brown algae in a couple of days, but mine don't look like they're making much of a dent. Is it because I only have two for a 20 gallon tank? I'm trying to get an idea of how long it will take, or if I need to get more.

mikel

AC Members
Apr 26, 2007
I've been looking to get a couple of otos for my tank (29 gal) for the same reason - brown algae. I'm having trouble finding them locally. Is there a place I can order them, and is buying mail order fish OK (for the fish, that is)?

Thanks for any info.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
I got mine at Petsmart, if there are any in your area. They cost less than two dollars each. Treat them gently when you buy them, they can be hard to establish. I've read in several places that they are often near death when you buy them. They get shipped from a long ways away, so they are stressed, and often aren't fed properly. Mine completely ignore algae discs, but as I said will attack brown algae and shrimp pellets. I bought two and my first died that night, but the second lived. I replaced the dead one, and that one lived about two weeks, then died. The original though is still going strong. I've read you should keep them in pairs or more, or else they will "waste away," but my single one has done very well.

mikel

AC Members
Apr 26, 2007
Thanks for the info. All I have nearby are Petsmart and Petco, and although I've been to several of each, I've only seen plecos and corys (I have 2 corys - they are cute!). I guess I need to keep an eye out.

Kuhlifan

AC Members
Mar 28, 2007
Ohio
ottos are very small, so it's hard to see them sometimes. I've heard that petsmarts typically all carry the same stuff, but that may not be the case with fish. You might ask them, as you may have been there on a day when they were either out or very low on them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store