Otos and Temp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OgreMkV

Father of Earth's Next Emperor
Apr 26, 2007
Port Arthur, TX
ogremkv.wordpress.com
How sensitive are otocinclus catfish to temperature? I have two smallish ones that aren't doing very well (resting on the bottom, slow breathing), the other four are fine.

The other fish are in good shape as well, but I know the temp increases during the day. It might get to about 80-81 F in the tank during the day. Night time temp is around 77 (heater comes on at 76).

Also, One of my otos is FAT. I'm not sure if it's just eating too much, food not digesting, or pregnant(?). Any ideas.

Params are
Nitrate and Nitrite are 0
Ammonia is 0
(tank is planted)

Thanks for any ideas

FreakIndeed

Yo yo yo!
Oct 7, 2006
Columbus, OH
I keep mine at about 83 in a planted tank (Discus) and they are thriving. Have you considered just keeping the heater set for about 79 or 80 and keeping the temp more stable?

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Otos are more sensitive to water quality than temp and as people have said, they do fine in discus tanks with higher than normal temps.

Otos should be chubby around the belly, a sign that they are being well fed, but I do not know how "fat" this one is. Post a pic if you can.

hitman12131976

Resident Calculus Teacher
Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
The 'fat' one might be a female. She may not be pregnant, but the females tend to be larger than the males.

I have two Oto's. One 'fat' and one not-so-fat. The 'fat' one is fine, thriving and all. No babies. So I figured it had to be the female and the other a male.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Not to be doom and gloom, but I've had trouble with Otos too. I have 3 of the original 5 left and one was REALLY fat before it died. I read somewhere that they are wild caught by some sort of poisoning.

hitman12131976

Resident Calculus Teacher
Apr 30, 2007
Covina, CA
www.eosclan.com
To catch them in the wild they use something to slow them down. Drug them, of sorts.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store