outdoor experiment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
Set up a dirted aquarium on my front porch as an experiment. No filter, heater, or artificial lighting. Plexiglass top so nothing can get in or out.
Plants: java fern, hydrocotyle, wisteria, crypt (not sure what kind), anubias nana (might be dead, we'll see if it grows), dwarf water lettuce, and a pothos
empty.jpg
no water.jpg
filled.jpg

Going to be home to these guys, found in friend's pool:
big bug.jpg
little bug.jpg

big bug.jpg empty.jpg filled.jpg little bug.jpg no water.jpg

ManEatingShrimp

AC Members
Jan 28, 2012
watch out for a huge algae bloom. I set up a 10 gallon outside and even with only 2 hours of somewhat direct sun in the morning the nutrients from the dirt allowed algae to completely cover and choke out all the plants and moss I had in there in less than a week.

After that initial algae phase the plants start growing very well. Also those beetles sting or bite so be careful when you're sticking your hand in there.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
watch out for a huge algae bloom. I set up a 10 gallon outside and even with only 2 hours of somewhat direct sun in the morning the nutrients from the dirt allowed algae to completely cover and choke out all the plants and moss I had in there in less than a week.

After that initial algae phase the plants start growing very well. Also those beetles sting or bite so be careful when you're sticking your hand in there.
What he said.

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
Thanks, I read all about the giant water bugs, so I know they bite, but they should be rather fun to watch hunt. Part of this experiment is actually in hopes of getting some algae, I have some rocks in there that, once covered, I was going to give my plecos.
Plus either way, this set up didn't cost me anything... all stuff I had around the house already, so if the algae is just too much or it fails for any other reason, oh well, lol

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Part of this experiment is actually in hopes of getting some algae, I have some rocks in there that, once covered, I was going to give my plecos.
Plus either way, this set up didn't cost me anything... all stuff I had around the house already, so if the algae is just too much or it fails for any other reason, oh well, lol
I've thought about doing something like this myself, for this very reason. I just haven't gotten around to it. I don't want to find rocks, because I have no idea what I'll actually end up with around here, and haven't been motivated enough to find some good inert rocks at a LFS for the experiment. Are you going to run a filter?

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
I might end up putting in a small internal filter just for the water movement if it gets too stagnant, but no plans for a filter atm.
I have more trouble finding things to do with my rocks than finding the rocks themselves lol

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

qwe123

AC Members
Jul 30, 2008
Western Mass
Day 10
not much change... the algae that was already on the plants before has grown a bit, seems to be the only difference
day 10.jpg

The big guy likes to hang out here, couldn't find the little one today... going on vacation tomorrow, gotta get him some feeders for the week
bug face.jpg

day 10.jpg bug face.jpg

jetajockey

AC Members
Apr 9, 2010
florida panhandle
Real Name
David
Not bad. The algae thing may get out of control but being on the porch in relative shade will help a lot. I ran one 40b outside with no filtration and just plants and a few mosquitofish and it worked out fine although the hair algae went out of control after a while. I now have a greenhouse with a recirculating system so I'm intimately familiar with the algae thing.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store