Overdriven Normal Output Lighting

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wackydan

Fun, not crazy.
Nov 21, 2005
Matthews, NC
Primary safety concern is the heat output. Plus, anytime you change the design on something like that, you are creating a safety hazard.

That said, I've read numerous articles on this, and have yet to hear of any mishaps.

I've often thought it would be neat to experiment with this. I do have an extra cheap light strip around. I'd like to know just how hot the bulbs get. My Current CF setup gets hot too, and that is in a partially plastic unit.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I'm running a 4x32w electronic ballast into 2x32w T8 bulbs over my 150. Works pretty well. I kept a close eye on it for the first few days, the ballast gets hot but no hotter than the one on my CF lights. The bulbs don't really get any hotter than normal.

Kashta

Always Niko's fault.....
Jun 24, 2008
USA West Coast
Real Name
Susan
When I've read that someone has upgraded their light to a higher-wattage fixture, it usually says they also installed another fan under the canopy to handle the additional heat the unit puts out. Or they built a custom hood that's taller to allow more cooling space in between for venting the heat. So that makes sense. We just have to make sure the heat gets dispersed.

Around the house, I've put a 100-watt bulb into a 60-watt lamp before. I've seen warning stickers that say not to do that, but I just ignored it. Still... I'm too chicken to flash my bios to overclock my computer and lots of people do that... lol.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
Very interesting, especially considering that a pair of shoplights is no more than $20 w/ tax.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store