Overflow GPH

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
Anyone know the GPH ratings for Oceanic 180g overflow? I'm becoming concerned, I have two 1200gph pumps I plan on using, but I keep reading about 600gph max flow for an overflow. Whats up?

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
Is it a single overflow? A 1" bulkhead is gonna be about 600 or so gph, I think. If you need more flow than that you need to have a double blukhead overflow or multiple overflows.

HTH :)

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
So you are telling me they dont build the tanks to handle the flow they need?

Some one has to be running a 180g with more flow than this, its really not that much for a tank this size.

Also, I'm skeptical on the 1" bulkhead rating, the pump is rated for 1200gph and it only has a 1" inlet, so 1" must be able to flow at least 1200gph.

I have gotten the impression that maybe the slits in the overflow box are the limiting factor, not the bulkheads.

Someone chime in, I want to start the plumbing this week!

M-pire

Foosballer
Dec 9, 2003
Lexington, Kentucky
Im not telling you anything about your tank...you just said you read everywhere that the overflow will do 600gph, so I'm suggesting the reason as being a single 1" bulkhead...I have no idea how your tank is equiped.

Of course a 1" bulkhead can handle much more flow when you put a pump behind it. The overflow is just draining the water back down by gravity...not being pumped.

Also, your pumps that pump 1200gph sitting in the sump with no vertical rise will not pump nearly as much at a 5ft rise to the tank.

Even if you managed 1200gph or so through a single 1" bulkhead would you want to? That's alot of water to trust to be drained by a single small hole. A lot of people have their tanks with multiple overflows in order to achieve high flow rates, and for safety.

Im just trying to help based on what I I've been told and seen

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
M-pire, I wasnt trying to insult you, sorry if I did. I am just trying to clarify, the fustration was directed at oceanic, not you.

Its just I've seen overflow ratings anywhere from 500gph to 1100gph, just want to know if any one is circulating more than that through theres.

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
JUST GOT THIS EMAIL FROM OCEANIC:

1200 gph per drain, I believe you have 2 so 2400 gph is the maximum. That should be overkill for you tank as the max. recommended flow rate for any aquatic life is 7 to 10 times per hour, or 1260 to 1800 gallons per hour for your tank.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or if I can be of further assistance.

Thank You!

Matt Kaplinsky
Oceanic Systems Inc.
1-800-554-6229 ext 721
This communication (including attachments) contains private, confidential, privileged and/or proprietary information intended solely for the Recipient (s) named above. If you are not the intended Recipient, any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of the communication is strictly prohibited. If received in error, we apologize and ask that you please notify the Sender by calling (214) 320-6050 or via return e-mail, permanently delete this communication from your computer and destroy any printed copies. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Any views expressed herein are not necessarily those of Oceanic Systems, Inc. No contracts, agreements or legally binding understandings may be entered into solely by an e-mail communication

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, March 29, 2004 9:15 AM
To: customerservice@oceanicsystems.com
Subject: 180g Reef Ready

I just purchased one of your 180g Reef Ready tanks, and I was wondering what the maximum flow rating for the overflows are? Thanks.

Korey Wells

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
IMO, i wouldnt flow any more than 800 gph through the sump. It will be far too noisy and use alot of electricity.

Use one smaller pump as the sump return, and use other pumps either as closed loops, or in the main tank itself.

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
I think I'm going to use one pump and overflow as a closed loop, and the other pump and overflow for the sump, it is a 55g sump, so hopefully is will handle the flow with out too much noise.

frosty

AC Members
Dec 17, 2001
Blair, NE
How's this sound, tee the two 1" bulkheads together and run them straight to one pump and then out over the top into the tank.
Take the two 3/4" bulkheads tee them together to a single 1" and then to the sump and then have the other pump pumping from the sump to a return plumbed over the top.

I can still hide all the plumbing in the overflow box, and then I'll have two 1" and two 3/4" returns. This should be able to hande 2000gph easy, shouldnt it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store