overflow noise, is this normal?? how to reduce?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
I didn't know they recomended that, I've seen some people have return pumps come up behind the tank then turn toward it and then straight down into the tank then have an elbow to face it toward the front of the tank and I don't think a siphon could do those turns... :huh:

senos

90 Gal Marine
Nov 18, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I think my Mag 9.5 is heating my water... i unplugged my heater yesterday and shut my lights off to make sure there was no heat generating anywhere, and overnight my heat went from 77 to 79 and still climbing, but staying steady right now around 79.5. What the heck could be causing this? I didnt slow down the rate of my pump, its not like its overheating or anything. The ball valve is open completely. Whats heating my water this much? could it be the normal operation of my Magdrive 9.5?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
One of the disadvantages of submersible pumps is that all the heat they generate goes into the tank. Compared to my lights, my pumps don't add all that much, though. Also, the movement of the water through the sump tends to cool things a bit.

How warm does the pump feel?

Crown Royal

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
For the Megaflow gurgling have you tried a durso yet? (www.dursostandpipes.com)

And Magdrives do get quite warm. Don't have the specs in front of me, but they use more electricity than other comparable submersibles thus causing greater heat. The Mag5 that I use on my Remora skimmer in my 46 gallon bumps up my tank a good degree.

senos

90 Gal Marine
Nov 18, 2005
Toronto, Canada
There doesnt really seem to be much of a difference between the All-Glass standpipe kit, and the Durso kit. In fact they look almost identical to eachother. Whats the benefit of the Durso over the All-Glass standpipes?

wastememphis

AC Members
Sep 6, 2003
Buffalo, New York
www.peccaviparty.com
one you build yourself to save money? I bought the all-glass one, I didn't want to do anymore stuff myself at that time.

Mahlhavoc

AC Members
Nov 1, 2005
/hug my Iwakis

Man I am glad I went with externals!

*snickers and runs away*

Crown Royal

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
senos said:
There doesnt really seem to be much of a difference between the All-Glass standpipe kit, and the Durso kit. In fact they look almost identical to eachother. Whats the benefit of the Durso over the All-Glass standpipes?
There is not much of a difference as far as I know except for one - price. You can DIY your own durso for $10 - $15.

There's also a number of other cool mods you can do to the megaflows on the durso page as well.

senos

90 Gal Marine
Nov 18, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I see... well the fish store gave me the AGA ones with the tank/stand. I didnt pay extra for them, it was part of the package i put together with them since I bought so much there already.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store