Overstocked... thoughts?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

illmatik67

Registered Member
Feb 9, 2020
Hi,
Just wanted to get some feedback on stocking for my tank. Does this seem overstocked?

-55 gallon, fluval 407 canister and aqua clear 150 HOB
-Heavily planted
-2x 20-30% water changes a week
-Fluval Plant 2.0 light, and dose with flourish excel every other day
-Plenty of driftwood

Water parameters
-Temperature is steady at around 80 F
-0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm nitrites, 6.0 - 6.4 pH depending on water change (public water is basic), 10-20 ppm nitrates (if 20 ppm I do a water change)

Fish
-1 gold nugget pleco L177, 4 inches
-1 farlowell catfish, 6 inches
-1 bristlenose pleco, 3 inches
-2 angelfish, 3 inches each
-4 sterbai Cory, 2.5 inches each
-4 kuhli loaches, 3 inches each
-2 electric blue Acaras, 3 inches each

Aqadvisor seems to think I am due for catastrophic issues, so I thought I would see what opinions/thoughts I could garner from this group! Thanks!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
meh,

Bioload is fine.

Territories, as noted, are debatable.

Personally I would ditch the cichlids, and increase the size of the schools of the other fish, but that's just personal preference... if there's no fighting seen, you may well be fine, I would just have a plan B.... just in case of breeding or such.

kingthedog

AC Members
Jan 16, 2020
meh,

Bioload is fine.

Territories, as noted, are debatable.

Personally I would ditch the cichlids, and increase the size of the schools of the other fish, but that's just personal preference... if there's no fighting seen, you may well be fine, I would just have a plan B.... just in case of breeding or such.
I agree

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think your gold nugget pleco will grow too large, eventually. IF your acaras are a pair or 2 males you may well have problems. Can you sex them or post a pic? At 3 inches we should be able to tell. But you need more kuhlis & corys...& that might be a problem with acaras. Acaras are very territorial, but corys don't understand (or ignore) territories.

Do you have lots of hiding places like wood or rocks? Again, pics could help...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store