overstocked

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

phaedraeos

AC Members
Nov 30, 2006
Boston, MA
i always take what they recommend on the package and cut it in half. it's like when a car dealership tells you that this car gets 25 miles/gallon. that only happens when you're not using anything extra, the car is empty, it's the second tuesday of the fourth month and pluto is in line with saturn and there is a full lunar eclipse in cambodia. it's rare that you get that full 25 miles/gallon.
That is 100%, completely, totally, universally, TRUE!! :joe:

As for filtration, I have dirty fish so I always filter 10x the gallon capacity of my tank. i.e. I have a 50 gallon with goldfish et al. in it, and I have an Emperor 400 and an Eheim Ecco canister on it, with a combined filtration rate of about 560g/h. You probably don't have to go that high, since goldfish are about the nastiest fish out there, but you get the idea.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
generally it's a good idea to have 10x turn over.

btw, the filters are rated with no media in them..it is the gph of a new pump with no restrictions.

H3D

Philosopher
Aug 28, 2005
Ohio
first, you should kick down the number of kuhlis to 5.

you will also need to get another filter. a penguin 170 and penguin 100 is not enough for a 37 gallon tank. if you were to get only a penguin 350, that would be sufficient (by itself, without the 170 or 100). if you want to keep the penguin 170, get a penguin 200 to go along with it OR use the penguin 100 you have and then get another.
If he is diligent in maintenance and performs weekly water changes than IMO 7 Kuhli loaches will be OK. However I agree more filtration is needed. I would swap the Bio-Wheel mini for an AC 70. That would bring him to 470 gph of filtration.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store