Oxidation Reduction Potential (ORP)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I wanted to find out if anyone else is measuring ORP in their reefs? I have read to obtain an understanding of the nominal range (300-450) and for now I am just observing the readings. I am not going to purchase on ozonizer unless I have to. It seems that it is a very complex chemical theory and that overall it is assessed to measure the "purity" of the water - which also helps as it will kill off bacteria if raised or above 500 for a reading.

Does anyone else measure ORP and have you utilized an ozonizer? would be interested in your experiences.

Thanks!

Here is an article that it helpful: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-12/rhf/feature/index.php

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I've yet to go that far with our reef tank. What I've been doing thus far has been working really well, so I'm working off the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality at the moment.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
I don't bother nor have I ever. ORP fluctuates too much with daily activities (which is why it is a bad idea to use it as a basis for ozone, since you can inject too much as a result). Just keep up with water changes, use carbon generously, and utilize a good skimmer.

Edit-- Part of this article is a condensed version of the earlier one and illustrates my views on orp pretty well.

Last edited:

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
it is articles like that, that make me glad im not a chem major. some things just leave me scratching my head. i have an ozonizer but its not hooked up and i dont think i will.

120gallons

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
It's most useful if you add ozone to your setup. Actually it is practically required to use a orp controller when adding ozone. Ozone can be a great addition to a reef aquarium if used right. A lot of the best known reef aquarists use it. I just started using it, and the obvious improvement is the clarity of the water and the improved light penetration. I'd compare it to going to a beach in California vs one in the Carribean. A stunning difference.

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
It's most useful if you add ozone to your setup. Actually it is practically required to use a orp controller when adding ozone. Ozone can be a great addition to a reef aquarium if used right. A lot of the best known reef aquarists use it. I just started using it, and the obvious improvement is the clarity of the water and the improved light penetration. I'd compare it to going to a beach in California vs one in the Carribean. A stunning difference.
I am not necessarily against using ozone, as it does have its place and uses, but using ORP to measure it is unwise. I think you may see why by reading the posted articles. Stick to a properly (likely under-) sized ozonizer and you should be fine. Basing it off of the variability of ORP can be dangerous.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
One of the basic measures is ORP. You have a controller device with a probe that measure the ORP. The goal is to have a measure of between 300 and 450 becuase according to the article, naturally in the ocean ORP is about 500 - so most aquarists shoot for a nominal range. When I noticed the benefits list the clear water is one, but it also notes (in the article) that the ozonizer is more efficient than a UV for bacteria/virus control.

Amp: appreciate the input. I purchased the probe but not the ozonizer becuase it seems that the probe takes a couple of days to break in before you get a steady/reliable read. I will take this cautiously.

120gallons

AC Members
Sep 19, 2007
You still want to measure it. I use a red sea one. Like everything else there is good info and bad info on ozone. I'm not goint to spew names, but many on the reef aquarium speaking circuit highly tout it's use.

New Reefer

AC Members
The goal is to have a measure of between 300 and 450 becuase according to the article, naturally in the ocean ORP is about 500
Just a word of advice: don't chase numbers :nono:

If your tank is healthy and your ORP reading is only 250, DONT give it a massive ozone boost to increase the ORP to 450. The ORP fluctuate quite dramatically, and it's not necessarily caused by "bad" water - ORP meters measure small voltage changes, and something like a "leaky" pump or fluorescent tubes being too close to the water and inducing an electrical current could cause totally false readings.

Observe the TRENDS, and react slowly...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store