Pacman Frogs?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Hey all, I've been doing some research on getting a Pacman Frog, and had a couple questions regarding their care.

1. Will a 10g work for a lone (obviously) frog?
2. How much food will they need a day, and what are some foods I should look into?
3. Should I have an inch or so of water covering a bit of the tank, or would a large water bowl suffice? (I was thinking a good size tupperware tray that isn't too deep, and is filled with water and pool filter sand for substrate)
4. How much should I expect to pay for his upkeep a month?
5. How often will I need to mist? (The tank has a screen top)

Thanks guys!

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I've had a few of these guys and they are awesome! A 10g should be good enough, it's the minimum for a single adult pac. If it is a juvenile frog they should be fed every other day as they are still growing whereas an adult will be good with a once a week feeding of good size or two smaller meals a week. Try nightcrawlers, roaches and of course, crickets. They need a vitamin supplement on their food every once in a while as well.
As for water I would partially bury a water bowl and only fill it about an inch or less so that it never covers the frogs head..I don't think sand would be necessary and you would want to change this water daily. Upkeep monthly will be cheap, you'd only be purchasing live critters for food and they aren't expensive. What substrate are you thinking of using? Keep in mind that they love to burrow.

reptileguy2727

Not enough tanks, space, or time
Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
The best setup for them is a critter keeper with wet paper towels in it, that's it. It will need to be cleaned every 2-3 days. When you see how yellow the paper towels get so fast you will see all the waste they are forced to sit in with other setups, which is not good since their skin is so permeable. They will sit in the corner. You can give them something twice as large as they are, or a 40breeder, either way they will only use one corner and sit there. Feeder fish (ideally ones you have had and fed for a little while), tadpoles, small frogs (like the ones tadpoles turn in to), worms, and a rare occasional pinky mice are a good diet.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
Good way to get rid of extra fishies ;)

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
The best setup for them is a critter keeper with wet paper towels in it, that's it. It will need to be cleaned every 2-3 days. When you see how yellow the paper towels get so fast you will see all the waste they are forced to sit in with other setups, which is not good since their skin is so permeable. They will sit in the corner. You can give them something twice as large as they are, or a 40breeder, either way they will only use one corner and sit there. Feeder fish (ideally ones you have had and fed for a little while), tadpoles, small frogs (like the ones tadpoles turn in to), worms, and a rare occasional pinky mice are a good diet.
How wet should the paper towels be (soaked, or just moist?), and how many should I use? (layers)

How big should feeders be? Would adult guppies work?

Would a diet of mealworms/cultured food on Tues, Thurs, and then live food on Saturday work?

Thanks for the replies so far guys!

RisiganL.

AC Members
Feb 24, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Real Name
Risigan Logendran
If you are using paper towels, use ALMOST soaked, but not quite saturated. I would recommend a different substrate, such as coconut fiber, because pac man frogs like to bury themselves in the substrate. Pac man frogs have VERY large mouths and a full grown guppy would be fine. An adult female could probably down 3" goldfish without too much trouble. Mealworms are a fine feeder, but variety is always best. I have heard some people say that super worms (similar to large mealworms) can chew through the stomach of frogs, but I have yet to find proof of this.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
If you are using paper towels, use ALMOST soaked, but not quite saturated. I would recommend a different substrate, such as coconut fiber, because pac man frogs like to bury themselves in the substrate. Pac man frogs have VERY large mouths and a full grown guppy would be fine. An adult female could probably down 3" goldfish without too much trouble. Mealworms are a fine feeder, but variety is always best. I have heard some people say that super worms (similar to large mealworms) can chew through the stomach of frogs, but I have yet to find proof of this.
If I use coconut fiber than how often should I be changing out the substrate? How many adult guppies will I need per feeding (say twice a week, plus a bunch of crickets on another day)?

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
I'm unsure of the quantity they should be getting, how much and what to you guy's feed your's?

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
They can burrow into the paper towels, mine did it all the time. To help the little ones I would fold the paper towels so that there was a fold in the middle of the container they could just back up under, but the big ones will tear a hole in them and burrow down.

I kept the paper towels pretty thick, at least a few layers.

I would have them more than soaked, when you tilt the container water should flow to one end. When huddled down though the water should not be up to their nostrils.

I have seen and heard of cases where mealworms have chewed through animals. Whether or not there were other issues involved (like not enough heat) is another issue, but it does happen. I wouldn't feed mealworms to pacmans, stick with aquatic stuff.

reptileguy2727

Jan 15, 2006
Northern Virginia
Guppies won't fill these guys up. Even tiny pacmans can take rosery reds and pinky mice.

If you use coconut fiber you still have to replace it every 2-3 days. They don't create more or less waste based on their substrate so it still has to come out. IME coconut fiber dries out to quickly and is too expensive to be replacing every 2-3 days (which is why people let their frogs soak in their own waste for a month at a time).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store