Painting the back of the aquarium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
I like to use cobalt blue, phthalo emerald green and cadmium red acrylics to create texture and blend colors, adding cobalt violet when I want a darker background.

eeyipes

AC Members
Jun 11, 2008
Washington IA
I just rolled on acrylic craft paint with a foam roller on my tanks ... took a couple coats to fill in but seemed to work fine. You can blend different colors that way too .. and cheap.

fermentedhiker

AC Members
Nov 11, 2011
Warren, Maine
any sign shop will sell you a sheet of 3m signmakers vinyl, in nearly any color you can think of. If you apply it with water and a squeegie, it's the best.
Do you wet the tank glass before laying it down? I'm on my third attempt of doing vinyl on a 55 gallon and I cannot for the life of me stop from getting wrinkles and bubbles no matter how hard and careful I'm being. Does the water keep the adhesive from sticking immediately?

GraphicGr8s

AC Members
Nov 29, 2010
Tampa, FL
Real Name
George
yeah, soapy water is a must. you want to thoroughly mist the surface so you can slide the vinyl around and into place, and then squeegie the water out from the center to the edges.
One of my commercial window tinting customers uses Johnsons baby shampoo in water for just that reason. Plus it got a better bond

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store