Paroon and Iridescent Sharks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crash

AC Members
Feb 26, 2003
Clintonville, WI
www.rejected.ws
I'm very interested in these types of catfish (The Paroon Shark and Iridescent Shark) but everywhere I read, says they get absoulety huge, but I tend to take everything I read with a grain of salt. I was wondering if anyone on this forum had, or does have these kind of catfish. Any info would be appreciated. Iridescent Sharks I seem to find at every LFS around here, and I've come across Paroon Sharks as well. And while I havn't asked about the Paroon Sharks, the people at Petco said the Iridescent gets 10-12". But, if anyone could give me any info, that'd be awesome.

fish dude

ruler of alll
Jan 6, 2003
Visit site

you can check the ac profiles but the largest ive seen was a 19" irridescent shark. ive never seen a large paroon but they get probably get over 5 feet in an aquarium

bizzy928

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
Originally posted by wetmanNY
When you walk down a row of tanks at a fish outlet and see one fish after another that will grow to be a foot long, you know you're not seeing "errors" but a corporate policy.

What the actual store is named, is immaterial.
I'm totally lost. Can you reiterate?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I beliece wetman is referring to the fact that few fish stores will honestly let the buyer know that they offer fish which will exceed the capacity of almost all home aquariums. Instead, they list 12 inches as the max size, with no regard for the actual expected adult size of the fish.

wayne

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
I've seen some pretty immense examples of these fish in SE Asia. I don't think those max sizes are wrong, and I imagine that 99.99% of those fish sold for aquaria die in stunted misery.

Ray-Ray

< < < < < >
Mar 5, 2003
Illinois
Visit site
Hey CRASH
I had an Iridescent Shark in my 200 gal. tank (7'x2'x2'). He got to be 2' long but he always would spaz out if I turned the light on or my daughter would tap on the glass. I also had 3 Tinfoil Barbs that would nip at his tail, that would also make him spaz out. He grew fast and was very peaceful. And having a big shark in your tank is pretty neat to watch, but the bamage he would do to the filters and himself (he always get scarched up) just wasn't werth it.

bigbigfish

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2007
N.y.
i have a 250 gallon tank and im into fishes for the past 10 years, im currently looking for large paroon shark and pacus and other large fresh water fishes. If thers anyone thats currently selling any please let me know i appreicate it. thank you =]

boneandeye

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2007
I purchased 3 Paroon Sharks about a year ago. I have them in a 20 gallon tank and all of a sudden they started swiming up and down constantley instead of back and forth like they used to do. I noticed they no longer have any of their fins. It seems like just one day, they were gone! Two have died and I have no clue what to do or even what's wrong with them. Did they die a stunted misery or some other way? I have a 100 gallon tank my Aligator Garr does not like to share with ANYTHING, and a 40 gallon I have a Arayana in because the Garr almost killed it. HELP!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store