parrot cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
my mom got me 2 parrot cichlids yesterday and i'd like to know more about them. they are babies, i put them in my 29g for now, i have a 50g i will move them into in a few months or when it seems like they need to, for now they don't seem too big for it. each is about 2 1/2" long. they are hiding though and they won't really come out one has come out quickly a few times and gone right back to hiding. they did not eat when i fed them either but they don't look thin, and their colouring is bright. are these shy fish? is it normal for them to hide so much? or how long does it take for them to get used to their surroundings? the tank is planted with live plants, it has sand in it and has alot of hiding places available. they were alone in there. i added 3 guppies tonight to try and lure them out, no such luck as of yet.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Give them another day or two. Try feeding live brine-shrimp. May entice them out.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
Parrot cichlid or blood parrot??

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
sorry, blood parrots. had to look into that for a while because everytime i googled parrot cichlids it shows blood parrots.

Last edited:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
no problem hoplarchus psittacus
is now often referred to as the 'true' Parrot cichlid.
since we know you are referring to ' blood' parrot.. they can be shy at first..but often become territorial as they mature.
give them time they will recognize you and become less shy.

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
alright, thanks. one came out today to eat, and the other one poked it's head out to grab some food that drifted near it's cave so i know they are eating.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
give them time ..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store