Patriot Crab (Cardisoma armatum) Info

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

E's_Crab_Shack

Wasteland Messiah
May 11, 2009
It is a 20L with enough water in it to cover his rocks and filters. I have 2 internal filters, one behind the slate that makes a little waterfall and one that lays down on the other end with a spraybar that sticks up and makes it rain. It only rains during the day because it drives me nuts at night. LOL
Well yea, I think 20L comes out to about 5.5 g or so. I wanted to do a setup like that with a canister filter and maybe a spray bar. I need silence when i sleep, it would drive me crazy too lol. Black Sun are you gonna keep anything else with your crab?

black_sun

I'm a crayfish in disguise...
Jun 26, 2008
New Jersey
Well yea, I think 20L comes out to about 5.5 g or so. I wanted to do a setup like that with a canister filter and maybe a spray bar. I need silence when i sleep, it would drive me crazy too lol. Black Sun are you gonna keep anything else with your crab?
Probably not, save feeders. Without having found much information on the species, I'm very hesitant to house him with anything else. Even more so, with the common repetition of "more aggressive with old age" that I'm finding cited here and there. Seems like it would limit long term tankmates, meh.

That and with the current set-up, he's limited to sharing only floor/climbing space with other terrestrial animals (the water area is too small for long term aquatics). I'm not sure what I could put in there that he wouldn't consider food or wouldn't consider him food. You know, save another crab and I don't have a free tank large enough for a M/M pair (the stores around here only sell the males). *shrugs*

Maybe later on I'll house something with him, but for now I'm fine with having him housed solo. Vinny seems cool with it, too lol, he gets the whole tank to himself. :grinyes:

E's_Crab_Shack

Wasteland Messiah
May 11, 2009
Haha yea thats true. Would be cool to see if a M/F would mate though! Keep us informed about his habits and any other info you get on these guys. I might have to get one myself

E

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson

I just realized what you were saying. I am a duh sometimes. It is a 20 gallon long tank. Not Litre. Sorry, I did not realize what you were saying. I was wondering how you thought out that I had 5.5 gallons of water in it.

E's_Crab_Shack

Wasteland Messiah
May 11, 2009
I just realized what you were saying. I am a duh sometimes. It is a 20 gallon long tank. Not Litre. Sorry, I did not realize what you were saying. I was wondering how you thought out that I had 5.5 gallons of water in it.
LOL I am like that too, especially if work is busy :drool: . I was gonna say, 5 gallons would be tiny for that big guy!

ccurtiss65

Registered Member
Nov 16, 2009
Hi Everyone... Hey I'm really looking for some important information on molting patriots... My son has a patriot and this is her first molt. She started molting in the water and when I got up this morning she was upside down in the water so I removed her from the water because I was afraid she would drown so I put her out of the water, I know their really lathargic when their molting but what I'm wondering is if I should have completely removed her from the water or not, And trying to get any info. off the net about patriots is next to impossible!! I just don't want her to die... My son LOVES this crab!!! Is there anyone who can tell me any info. on this subject??? Any info is more then I have!!!! Thanks so much...CC

Cesage

Registered Member
Jan 3, 2010
Hey. I bought all my tank stuff for my patriot crab and will be picking him up on Tuesday. But what I'm curious about is how often do u feed them and what do u suggest is the best food to feed them.

halfmoonplakat

AC Members
Nov 7, 2009
He has been molting about every 6 months or so. The funniest thing that he does is that after I feed him in his dish he will fill the dish up with stones and plastic jewels He used to line little stones up along the edge of the slate when he wanted something to eat. It seemed like he was offering a trade. I'm sure that wasn't true but he does love to rearrange his tank every couple of weeks. Oh, and I also give him water lettuce, anacharis and hornwort which he likes to eat at his leisure.
Haha he's a smart little fella

This species LOVES to climb. Vinny often climbs on my shirt and, if allowed, will climb as high as possible. Unfortunately, this usually means using my ears and hair as aid (claws and sharp pointy feet = OWCH). :ROFL:
That is adorable! I love the platforms in your tank, BTW it looks awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store