Pearl Gouramis in 29 gallon

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Another super easy & underrated plant is anacharis. Under medium light the leaves grow in delicate & bright green. They are perfect floating plants. Easier to find than watersprite. Watersprite is a light green - the two together would be lovely. Also, anchored down "planted" in your gravel, the two will eventually reach the top and will spread to create a floating canopy.

FishVixen

DIY Addict
Jun 30, 2010
Richmond Va
With pearls I would at least have vals for them to swim through. Mine were in a 55 gal but loved the val jungle I had in there.

clownfish1124

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
Ok, so I'm gonna get water sprite, anacharis, valliseria, and java fern. Also are there any good foreground plants that are easy to take care of?

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Not sure you gave enough light for dwarf baby tears as ground cover...

You may want flourish root tabs for the vals. Anacharis & watersprite draw from water column and don't really need added ferts. I don't think you'll need excel, unless you start to get algae (but I would reduce or split up my lighting period first.

Check on light requirements fir vals... A timer may be needed. I have my lights on 3-4 hours in the morning & 5 hours in the afternoon/evening. The split time helps deter algae growth.

clownfish1124

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
ok, so i think for now, I will just skip the vals, because I don't really want to fertilize. Do you have any recommendations for foreground plants then? Also what do you think about anubias nana for the mid-ground? do I really even need a foreground plant, or can I go without?

Edit: also, I kinda like the idea of having a separated light cycle. I was thinking maybe 10-1 in the morning/afternoon, and then from 4-9 at night for a total of 8 hours a day.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Here's a picture that shows off my cryptocornes:

You can see they're dark green on one side, reddish on the other. Fish swim through them like a val forest.

I don't fertilize...much too lazy. If you can find a crypt that looks like mine, it's really hardy, does well with your lighting level, and won't need fertilizer.

Also, you can plant java fern in the substrate, too...it usually doesn't do quite as well, but it makes a nice short bush effect (or you can tie it to a small flat rock and lay it on the substrate).

Eric

clownfish1124

AC Members
Jul 6, 2010
I figured I would post specs on my tank:
Tank size: 29 gallons
Filter: 2 HOB whisper 40s
Heater: Theo 100 watt
Light: 48 watt t5 HO
Fish:
2 Pearl Gouramis
12-15 Neon Tetras
3 Siamese Algae Eaters (Changed my mind)
Plants:
Anacharis
Water Sprite
Red Cryptocorne
Java Fern
Java Moss

Is there anything else I need?
Thanks a bunch everyone

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
You can spread java moss in front as a type of ground cover. I've seen this and it really looks nice! Also a great sanctuary for shrimp & baby fish.

I love my anubias nana - they do best attached to driftwood. Another idea is dwarf hairgrasd which doesn't require as much light as the baby tears. I hope to get some in my 20H sometime...

You don't need foreground plants if you don't want them. It's your tank! Enjoy & good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store