Penguin biowheel 125 question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Maxsfish

AC Members
Jun 12, 2019
So I have the discontinued penguin biowheel 125 on my 29 gallon aquarium. When I used aquadvisor to put in stocking ideas it kept telling me I was 60-70%stocked but that my aquarium filtration was at 80-90 %. I can’t find information on the penguin 125 anywhere. I was given the entire set up as a trade for a different pet item so I assumed the filter was accurate for the size of the aquarium. However now I’m wondering if it isn’t and that’s why aqadvisor is telling me I need more filtration capacity. I do have a tetra whisper pf10 hob filter I can add to the aquarium and when I added this filter to the charts the filtration capacity was fine. However if I don’t need to use this filter I don’t want to as it’s for my quarantine tank. So does anyone know if the penguin 125 is the wrong size for my 29 gal?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Yeah, it's hard to judge what a filter's capacity might be. I "think" it's based on liters/gallon...but with no media in the filter to slow the flow. That's not very realistic, of course you'll use some kind(s) of media. I like 2 filters on almost all tanks 20g & larger...& I mostly stock pretty lightly. I think you'll be fine with just the penguin...for now. You're wise to have a quarantine tank! Not everyone bothers but I almost always do.

Use Aqua Advisor as a loose guide at best, not a justification for "max" stocking (overstocking? maybe).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store