Penn-Plax Cascade filter not working

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Eric1747

Registered Member
Sep 10, 2017
Hello,
I just bought a new Cascade 1200 Elite canister filter for my turtle tank. I can't get either outtake or intake tubes to work. I've tried multiple different ways but as of right now I filled the canister with water and I'm not sure if the intake won't work because it's already full enough and needs to expel more water out of the outtake or what. I put the tank on a stand in hopes it being higher up than the filter would make it work but it only slightly improved. I've been pumping it and plugging it back in and pumping it while it's plugged in but nothing's working. While you're pumping some water will shoot up the tube but not go over the lip to the spray bar. I've never had a canister filter before and I have no idea what to do.

thank you,
Eric

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Eric, is the aquarium full of water to the rim or is it only half full of water?

I don't have that brand of canister filter but what you can try is unplug the power cord and empty the canister completely of water. Leave the intake in the tank and place the output fitting the hangs on the tank rim in a 5 gallon bucket and suck on the end to start the siphon process. Once the filter is fully primed of water and it starts filling up the bucket, put your finger over the end of the output and lift it back up to the tank rim and connect any spray bar or outlet nozzle. Plug the power cord back in and see if the filter operates normally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store