people with big tanks and small fish, stocking suggestions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mopani

AC Members
Dec 3, 2012
ok been a while, but I am getting a 135 tall, Leigh is 4ft. not sure others. this will be my Gf's tetra community, does this seem fine or can I add more 10 Buenos Aires tetras 10x bleeding hearts 10x ember (or other bright red tetras) 10x guppies 4x swordtails, some type of gourami and 2x BN plecos. I want to add Rainbow fish. Id like the full color red, yellow, orange rainbows but my pet stores only have the bonsai ones.

Agro

AC Members
Jul 25, 2013
Treviso - Italy
Wait a minute, tetra and guppy or swordtails requere different water values.
If you wont tetra or other group fish chose one maximum two species, an make a pig group, is better of more group with few fish.
Chose two or three species, do not exaggerate.
Start with water tap values, and one fish species you like.
The tank ended a month of maturation?

mopani

AC Members
Dec 3, 2012
different values, my first tank had swordtail and guppies, and on the schools, the is gf's tank so as long the get along, all I can do but say yes. This tank is in planning stage btw nothing has been done and will be seeded with other filters

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
If you are going to do rainbows you'll need to look at doing a planted tank. The show their colors best when they have a lot of lush growth. They also tend to get nippy of slower moving long-finned species. They are best with fast moving fish or those that tend to hide like the BN. A small fish with lots of attitude like a dwarf gourami also make good tank mates. Other rainbow fish species are also an excellent choice.

The other species also do better with a planted tank but can go without.

What your are looking for the bright red color is the Iran rainbowfish. They are very hardy but can rake over a year to mature and show their best colors. I've got 6 in my planted tank right now. They are pretty ugly when small so many petstores don't stock them. I would have never picked them up if I hadn't seen a fully mature male that someone returned.

Jumko

AC Members
Jun 18, 2004
Jersey
Visit site
Real Name
Patrick
With the exception of the rainbows (don't have much experience with them), most of the fish you've mentioned are fairly common species that have been captive bred and can adapt to a wide range of water parameters. I do agree, though, that a large group of one or two fish is much more pleasing to the eye than a motley group of different fish.

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
I'd probably forego the Ember Tetras. They're just so small they'd be lost in that big tank unless you had dozens of them. 15 or more Harlequin Rasboras would school great and add red to the tank.
What about 15-20 Cardinal Tetras to add a pop of neon blue and red?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store