Peppered cory vs Panda cory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Peppered Cory vs Panda Cory?

• Total voters

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Not trying to start an argument, but my experience with Pandas, and what I read on websites like www.scotcat.com and www.planetcatfish.com,
is to the effect that Pandas prefer cooler temperatures than most other corydoras. Definitely don't want the tank over 78, and better around 75. I've never kept Pandas below 71, so perhaps you are right on that score. I've never had Peppereds, so I can't comment on their ability to tolerate low temperatures.

I've got about 25-30 pandas, after starting with six and having them reproduce pretty prolifically. I think they're great.
I was not saying that pandas like high tropical temps, more emphasizing that peppereds could work better if you have a cooler tank temp. Or, as noted above, if your power goes out.

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
77-80 is a little high for most cories, although I hear Sterbai like it.

I chose Pandas, though my Peppereds have certainly been much kinder to me. Pandas are just a breeding (and I suppose keeping, as they seem to be hard to keep alive) dream of mine.

Fishlock Holmes

AC Members
Jan 9, 2011
Central Indiana
Real Name
Rachel
I LOVE my pandas! They are my favorite fish in the tank. They are very busy, always moving (usually in a group), and never hide. They aren't the least bit shy, and some will come investigate my hand while I'm cleaning. :) They are so much fun to watch, and they're absolutely adorable too. I keep mine at 78 and they've done great. I've never kept peppereds, so I can't speak on their behalf, but I've quickly become a die-hard panda fan. I think you'd love them!

angyles

AC Members
Nov 4, 2002
Tacoma, WA
Visit site
I think it really comes down to picking the one you find the most attractive. In general, most of your common cories are going to be pretty easy to keep and enjoyable to watch. go with the ones you think are cuter. Or, get a small school of each if you have the room. they'll hang out together.

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
so guys, for a tropical aquarium of 77- 80 degrees peppered cories? or pandas would do fine ?
77-80 is a little high for most cories, although I hear Sterbai like it.

Actually, I just checked planetcatfish.com and they list 77 degrees at the high-end for both. For sterbai they have 82 degrees. Dang, I should get some of those. :naughty:

My water never drops below 75 (while running my a/c @ 74 degrees overnight) and has hit 83-84 during the day in summer. I think a couple degrees over is not going to suddenly kill off your fish, although I have floated frozen water bottles in my tanks during the summer.

thebrandon

I like fish
Jan 29, 2009
Tucson, AZ
I have peppered corys and they love to stray from the pack all the time. They school most of the time, but many times you can find a few of them lurking around by themselves. I personally like the look of pandas better.

Eastside Game

AC Members
Dec 14, 2010
thank you to everyone who replied. i think i will start off with cory pandas and see where that road takes me =).

Chrisk-K

Theodore P. Charles Fellow of AC
Dec 1, 2009
Maryland
I have peppers, pandas, schwartzi, leucomelas, haraldschultzi and davidsandi. My peppers are the shiest. I hardly see them. My 15 pandas are the most active.

Buenah36

AC Members
Jan 24, 2011
RI
Just a thanks for posting question as I'm setting up new tank and also wondering about the cory cats. Best of luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store