Percula Clown Fish Trouble!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
my tank is a 30gal and the power head is a 270 - gph. So when I came home I put the fish in about 1/2 gallon pitcher(new not used) with the water from the bag. I then used air line to syphon water from my tank to the pitcher. I tied the line in a knot so it would drip and doubled the water. After the water doubled I'd empty out 1/2 and repeat. I did this 4 times. I think he is ok. He is looking better now.

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I personally think you're under the flow you need versus having too much.

In the future when you acclimate, especially inverts, check the SG of the water they are in so you can slowly bring them up to what your SG is. Some LFSs will keep their salt mix low to save money and you don't want to put a new pet into shock by not raising their salinity slowly. The drip is slow yes, but sometimes more time is needed.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
ur right. next time i will check the salt level at the store. this time i did'nt and we learn from our mistakes, and this is one of those times. so under flow? really?

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Lenny - my true perc actually surfs the current around my tank on a frequent basis.. She just swims as hard as she can around the rocks with path my power heads make.. Then other times (Lenny is actually the She) will swim against my koralia 3 like she is on a treadmill or something. Its quite hillarious.. She does stick to her flower pot a lot now that both her and Squiggy (my false perc) are now hosting in.. But I have also noticed that fish have their own individual personalities. Mine have developed over time and I'm sure yours will also.

VickyH

AC Members
Mar 7, 2007
Medway, Kent
My pair of false clowns like to swim into the current, they look like they're struggling to get any where then just shoot forward with ease. I was worried at first too but they seem to enjoy doing it and have been in tank for about 6 months now with no probs. They always go up to the top back corner at night and hover around up there. Mine never used to leave their little area but now they do explore more.

chucke

AC Members
Oct 19, 2007
York, Pa
Clownsa re funny I dont think anyone Really knows anything about them other then itf they jump out put them back in they should live!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Clownsa re funny I dont think anyone Really knows anything about them other then itf they jump out put them back in they should live!
There is quite a lot info about them actually which is readily available for research. Wetwebmedia did a good write up on the species..

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/clownfis.htm

Niko

mandy21

THE REEFER GODDESS
May 16, 2006
Ohio
Lol really? Mine are all over the tank exploring.

Oh yes. They act like there is a shark in there that is going to eat them. The only other thing in there besides live rock right now is a coral beauty angel that takes his nightly rest in the same area as the clowns now. Utter goofballs.

animalman

Love My Clowns
Oct 15, 2007
Massapequa, New York
So far tonight my new friend is doing just fine. He is no longer racing up & down in the corner. Lastnight he slept in the top corner behind the powerhead. I guess there is less current there for him to relax. Now he's swimming around and having fun. He was prob stressed. Thank You

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store