Petco Finally Liberates Betta from Cups

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
By the way, what's wrong with keeping them in cups, as long as they keep the water clean? Many betta breeders grow the fry out in small glass jars. Works great. Now, if they aren't changing the water in the cups, I could see how that would be torturous, due to the small volume leading to nasty water in no time.
Question in red font is answered by second statement also in red. It is the impression by beginners towards the overall maintenance of bettas in cups especially ignorance by employees that is the disturbing point and possibly one reason why they changed their policy.

LeahK

AC Members
Jul 5, 2007
Iowa
Reframer, do you know if this store is corporate or a franchise? I think I'll write them a letter and tell how much I appreciate hearing about this change. I'm always writing negative consumer letters ;) it'll be nice to write something positive.

engineer

Se?or Member
Mar 9, 2005
Kennesaw, GA USA
Question in red font is answered by second statement also in red. It is the impression by beginners towards the overall maintenance of bettas in cups especially ignorance by employees that is the disturbing point and possibly one reason why they changed their policy.
Oh, I see. Shameful, then. I just saw the same in my local PetSmart - nasty water in the betta cups and some clamped fins. It makes me want to buy them all to save them, but that would just make them get twice as many to sell next time. I honestly haven't been in Petco in over a year, because they always have sick/dead fish or no fish (empty tanks) for some reason. Plus, that ocean wave sound they play back in the fish area makes me feel like I need to use the bathroom for some reason. :)

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I know there is no such thing as a school of bettas I was being stupid. Although I did see a pic somewhere with a lil group of female bettas swimming together like a lil school.

Oh so the blue is medication??? That seems like a stupid thing to do. I know I wont take Theraflu unless im sick so why would anyone wanna medicate a healthy fish? Wouldnt that mess up its immune system and stress em out?

owl

\m/ \m/
Jul 8, 2008
I don't know if someone has mentioned this yet, but my local petco has finally came through and is now putting a betta in most of their tanks, along with signs that read "Bettas make great community fish with appropriate tank mates" or something like that. That's great!
hope it spreads everywhere ! bettas are poor :(

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Oh so the blue is medication??? That seems like a stupid thing to do. I know I wont take Theraflu unless im sick so why would anyone wanna medicate a healthy fish? Wouldnt that mess up its immune system and stress em out?
It's methylene blue. As I see it, treatment is pointless and dangerous when unnecessary unless you suspect the fish is ill.

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
".......Although I did see a pic somewhere with a lil group of female bettas swimming together like a lil school."

that would be called a sorrority, since all the bettas are female (or at least i think that's why it's called that, lol). and yes, that can be done, providing each female's temperment is compatible for shared tank living. i tried with three older (6month plus) girls and it didn't work. females from the same spawn might do ok together, but the gals can be just as owly as the boys sometimes.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
The petco that I work at just started doing this. I thought it was about time, considering we used to do it all the time at the PetSmart I worked at before.

Although, I have to admit I was a little surprised due to the fact that while watching hours of training videos (ugh) I was told that we are to tell the customers that "bettas are an aggressive fish and should be kept alone." We also sell those stupid little signs for betta bowls that say I prefer to live alone.

On another related note, while going through some overstock I happened to notice a little half gallon bowl with some rocks and a fake plant titled "everything you need for a betta home" . . . it slightly irritated me. I am so ready for the time that big box stores learn something about the animals they sell. Until then I think should be not allowed to sell any animals. If I didnt need this job so badly I would not be there. At this point I am refusing to buy anything from PetCo and will pay the extra to shop elsewhere. Even with my employee discount that I have yet to use.
/endrant

Virtuoso2K12

Mar 2, 2008
Southern CA
What about petsmart? I don't think all petco could this because mine has some with others,but still have them seprate like Halfmoon, Delta, King Betta, etc...

Jag1980

Got Plants?
Aug 18, 2008
Marysville, Wa
people need to understand that the reason betas are sold in cups and not in large tanks is NOT because they are an overly agressive fish.. but simply because they dont play well with others of their own kind

They keep them in small cups because they can breath air from the surface and they are found in small ponds so they figure that they will stay alive in 12oz. of water...
I figure they need a minimum of 3 to 5 gallons, but bigger is better is what the wife tells me. :huh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store