petsmart people are morons (not store workers)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Actually, I think some of you are reading too much into the name "Petsmart". I can call myself the "Fish Guru from Kalamazoo"** and make that a registered trademark, but that doesn't make me the Goddess of Freshwater Fishes.

Petsmart has been around since 1987. Here is one of their original web pages from 1996.

http://web.archive.org/web/19961222003108/http://petsmart.com/

Notice the name of the company? It's not PetSmart. It's PetsMart or PETsMART. They changed it in 1995 but didn't update the web site to reflect "PetSmart" until either 2005 or 2006.

I do agree that if they are going to advertise as "PetSmart" rather than "PetsMart" then their behaviour and policies should reflect that. However, it IS just a name.

Roan

** apologies to anyone living in the fine city of Kalamazoo, MI

solayedbacc

AC Members
Jun 9, 2006
you seem surprised by this? I work at PetCo which you can compare to PetSmart... they are a retail store and want to sell these fish to the "regualr" person... they told us the mark up value on fish for them is like 90% or something... which kind of comes back to another thread I read about them changing the name into something such as "Dinosaur Eel" Its crazy the amount of fish that is cleaned up daily at my Petco... You know what they are using to get rid of alge? Those Tank Buddies "No More Algae" tabs... I dont think that is an effictive way to go about it but its cheap and easy for them... what do you expect

fishman1979

Suffers from MTS
Feb 7, 2006
Aldan, PA
i have been to a petco near me recently and witnessed someone there selling a bala to a guy with a 10G tank, i actually had to say something to him about it, and he in turn didnt want the bala. but the person who worked there disagreed with me and said they would be fine in a 10G...

and ROAN ART, as far as writing a letter to corp, i did that right after i had a betta boiled by a petsmart employee. i wanted this one and asked if he could change the water and he did, with hot tap water. the poor fish was dead by the time that i walked from one end of the store to the front, and the guy actually got fired from what i heard.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
fishman1979 said:
and ROAN ART, as far as writing a letter to corp, i did that right after i had a betta boiled by a petsmart employee. i wanted this one and asked if he could change the water and he did, with hot tap water. the poor fish was dead by the time that i walked from one end of the store to the front, and the guy actually got fired from what i heard.
Good for you for writing the letter. If enough people do it, maybe they'll DO something.

Sorry about the betta. That was just bloody stupid of the guy.

Roan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store