ph problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

carttman

AC Members
Feb 27, 2003
Louisiana
Visit site
The pH of the water that comes out of my hose is neutral, and the fish that I would like to get require a pH level from 7.5 - 8.0. I have a freshwater master test kit. How do I change the pH from neutral and keep it where it needs to be constantly? Also, how will I do this during water changes?

wetmanNY

AC Members
To buffer your water at a higher pH you need more carbonates. Sodium bicarbonate ("bicarb") from the grocery store dissolves quickly and boosts the carbonates and pH right away. (Go easy!) Crushed coral (calcium bicarbonate) dissolves more slowly and buffers your pH more permanently.

Hi, Cartman !

I myself use crushed coral as Wetman has suggested, just keep in mind that depending on the size of the tank you are trying to boost, it will take only a small amount to raise the pH to the level you are striving for. Crushed coral can usually be found in the substrate area of the LFS.

You can use crushed coral by adding it to a mesh baggie (found in the Paint Department of Home Depot, usually used a paint strainer, cost about $2) and adding it to your filter compartment, or you can add it directly to your substrate - the result is the same !

scott

AC Members
Mar 12, 2003
Georgia
Visit site
You might want to test your pH after the water sits out overnight and gasses off. It will generally raise your pH about half a point or so (your results may vary) but the release of the CO2 will definately raise your ph. That will put you in your desired zone without adding anything. I might suggest testing your KH as well and adding the coral to buffer so that your pH does not crash.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store