PH question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I was curious, what would be the better scenario? Trying to bring the ph down to the desired level but risk it fluctuating, or just keeping it stable but at a higher than recommended level? For example, my tap runs with a ph of 7.8-8, but the fish i am going to keep are recommended to have it more in the lower 7 range. Is it detrimental to my fishes health to keep it at that level, or should i risk the number going all over the place trying to get it to that sweet spot?
I've tried natural methods of lowering it, i have driftwood and catappa leaves in the tank and peat moss in the filters but it's not budging. The fish in the tank right now (white clouds, dwarf rainbows, bristlenose) don't appear stressed in the slightest, so i'm not sure if i should be too worried or not, especially when i get to adding the more delicate fish (cardinal tetras, kuhli loaches) in.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
A stable pH is always better. You mentioned your tap pH but what is your tank pH? They tend to be different. Usually with a high pH comes a high KH and that KH (buffer) makes it very difficult to change the pH..which is actually a good thing.

Your best bet is to try to choose fish that like your water or at least adapt easily. Most neutral or higher fish adjust to a 8 pH without much issue, avoid soft acidic loving fish though. Or get a RO system to keep the fish you want.

I have a pH of 8.2 GH and KH about 10 and honestly I find that I have better luck, better presentation and better health when I keep fish that prefer my water. I have kept cardinals, kuhlis, rummynoses, embers etc and although overall they survive I find they don't thrive. Although I have a rummynose right now that is at least 7 years and I constantly got comments on how beautiful my embers were, they did even better when I had them in reconstituted RO water.

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
A stable pH is always better. You mentioned your tap pH but what is your tank pH? They tend to be different. Usually with a high pH comes a high KH and that KH (buffer) makes it very difficult to change the pH..which is actually a good thing.

Your best bet is to try to choose fish that like your water or at least adapt easily. Most neutral or higher fish adjust to a 8 pH without much issue, avoid soft acidic loving fish though. Or get a RO system to keep the fish you want.

I have a pH of 8.2 GH and KH about 10 and honestly I find that I have better luck, better presentation and better health when I keep fish that prefer my water. I have kept cardinals, kuhlis, rummynoses, embers etc and although overall they survive I find they don't thrive. Although I have a rummynose right now that is at least 7 years and I constantly got comments on how beautiful my embers were, they did even better when I had them in reconstituted RO water.
Thanks for the reply! My tap is actually within the same range as the tank water, if anything, it's increased a bit since it's been used in my tank actually.

I would love to have an RO system, but i hear it can be pretty pricey which really sucks...My lfs sells RO water at 50 cents per gallon, which isn't bad at all considering my tank is only 40 gallons, but it would be kind of a hassle to have to get all that water each week. It's definitely better than pouring expensive chemicals into the water though. I will consider it just for the kuhlis though as they are my weakness.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
In the grand scheme of things they are not expensive though. Trust me I am cheap but I think it was well worth the investment. If you bought RO water and did 50% WCs it would take a mere 15 weeks to equal the cost of owning your own system. Plus you now have the ability to make ANY kind of water you want for ANY kind of fish you may want in the future. I like this site if you decide to go that way, https://airwaterice.com/reefkeepers-rodi.html

There are plenty of fish that like alkaline water though. What is your hardness?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
What else do you have in the tank (decoration wise)? Not all drift wood will lower PH. Your Peat Moss in your filter-Is the water going through it, or over it. The water MUST go through it to lower your PH.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Stable is definitely better. I've found the biggest issue is in trying to breed, as the egg and milt sometimes have specific requirements.Check with your supplier--most likely, they're keeping fish in the same tap water conditions so your purchases will be fine.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I think that a lot would depend on how you intended to lower the pH... something in the aquarium (peat, wood etc) will affect it more slowly... something done to the water (reconstituting RO water, for example) will not fluctuate so much... as long as you don't forget something.

My personal preference is to do as little as possible, and keep fish that will work in there.. Lots of captive bred fish will not need such exacting parameters as something wild caught... and lots of times not being in the ideal window will not cause issues outside of things like breeding etc.

So do as much research as you can, and try to find out where the fish are coming from before they hit the LFS (or wherever you get them from)

As an aside... your location shows as Shaumburg; if you have the time, you could do a lot worse than attending the aquatic experience in November.. there will be a lot of cutting edge companies showing what they have available, not to mention giving out free stuff; You should really try to go (I know I'm going, you can never tell if there will be any other members there)

It's like $12 for a regular daily entry, unless you want to go to the seminars, meet and greet, go all days etc. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

http://aquaticexperience.org/

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
In the grand scheme of things they are not expensive though. Trust me I am cheap but I think it was well worth the investment. If you bought RO water and did 50% WCs it would take a mere 15 weeks to equal the cost of owning your own system. Plus you now have the ability to make ANY kind of water you want for ANY kind of fish you may want in the future. I like this site if you decide to go that way, https://airwaterice.com/reefkeepers-rodi.html

There are plenty of fish that like alkaline water though. What is your hardness?
Ah ok! thanks for that, i think i will have to look into it now.
I'm not sure what the hardness of my water is, but i hear that pretty much all illinois water is really hard.

What else do you have in the tank (decoration wise)? Not all drift wood will lower PH. Your Peat Moss in your filter-Is the water going through it, or over it. The water MUST go through it to lower your PH.
Besides the driftwood i have some large rocks, a small statue ornament, catappa leaves and live plants.
The peat is right on top in the filter, right next to the biological media. That's the right place to put it right?

I think that a lot would depend on how you intended to lower the pH... something in the aquarium (peat, wood etc) will affect it more slowly... something done to the water (reconstituting RO water, for example) will not fluctuate so much... as long as you don't forget something.

My personal preference is to do as little as possible, and keep fish that will work in there.. Lots of captive bred fish will not need such exacting parameters as something wild caught... and lots of times not being in the ideal window will not cause issues outside of things like breeding etc.

So do as much research as you can, and try to find out where the fish are coming from before they hit the LFS (or wherever you get them from)

As an aside... your location shows as Shaumburg; if you have the time, you could do a lot worse than attending the aquatic experience in November.. there will be a lot of cutting edge companies showing what they have available, not to mention giving out free stuff; You should really try to go (I know I'm going, you can never tell if there will be any other members there)

It's like $12 for a regular daily entry, unless you want to go to the seminars, meet and greet, go all days etc. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

http://aquaticexperience.org/
Thanks for your input! That convention does sound interesting, i might have to check it out.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
That convention does sound interesting, i might have to check it out.
You totally should!

I'm a huge fan these days of conventions, and getting the see what's new and exciting.

Not to mention the incredible chance to meet well known folks in the hobby and just get to sit around and talk fish!

I'll start a thread sometime, maybe others might be interested too... No idea of any other AC members who might be going, but you never know.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store