pics from New England Aquarium visit 56k watch out!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishypoo2

Editor of Tropical Fish Monthly
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Actually, there are 3 cories a bunch of Otos and a couple pencilfish (usually come out after hours) with the eel. When we first introduced them, 1 or 2 disappeared, but they've been fine together for years since. I guess the eel isn't hungry enough to bother with them, it's usually fed well every to every other day. The worry would be the shock, which apparently dosen't bother them either.

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
did you plant that combaomba piece by piece?? i was impressed with that tank

also, how come the reef tank doesnt have any anemonies? and the fish only next to it, man if all of the fish in there were to sell at a store around me, it would be in teh tens of thousands

also, what kinda filters do they use there? is there a biowheel the size of a steam boat paddle? hehe

fishypoo2

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Hi,

If you mean the GOT (giant ocean tank), there is only live fish in there because of the low lighting. The "coral" is actually fiberglass covering all the piping that runs water from the tank to the filter (2 - 10 foot high protein skimmers and a 15x10 foot wet-dry system, plus a constant water change) and then back to the tank.

As for the other filters, we generally use sand filters (like the ones used for generic swimming pools).

And, yes, the plants in the eel tank were planted by hand (a pain in the butt, I might add). We'd have to drain the tank down to 6" and get heavy rubber boots to go in and fix them, then they usually float back up :shake:.

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
no i mean the reef that is when you walk in , to the right, with the few cardinals in it and its just a wall of poylps mushrooms and stuff

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA

The office building on the right is where I work :)

Great pictures! We took my almost 2 year old son there a few weeks ago for the first time, and we spent most of our time at the penguins... he just loves them!

~Tara

fishypoo2

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Hans, I don't know why there aren't any anemones in that tank. Cardinals have been known to sometimes inhabit anemones in the wild, so it may be a fitting addition.

Dragon_Lord_Tia

OH NO not Lenny
Feb 14, 2003
Orange Australia
Visit site
i dont think i could handle the big smoke. ive been a country boy all my life that street looks like a street when the olympic tourch passes by lol

dwayne

AC Members
Jul 12, 2001
Boston, MA
LOL Dragon! That's not even a real street... that's just a little street that runs behind my building in front of the Aquarium... you should see the big street in the front of the building! LMAO!!

:)

fishypoo2

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Especially before the Big Dig, when I-93 was above ground...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store