pics of clay pots in fish tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York

And mine are not the best looking. I have seen some gret looking tanks with terracotta in them.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Here's an old pic of my 29 gallon with a convict pair. That's a broken antique Turkish pot. They always use it to breed in.

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
+There is an amazing tank in the forum (of course I can't find it again) that is bare bottomes with plants planted in ceramic containers placed creatively around. I stole the idea myself but I just can't have a bare bottomed tank! Within a week it had sand and more. LOL

noodles62

Just Noods......
Apr 17, 2008
WNC
Real Name
Dawn
+There is an amazing tank in the forum (of course I can't find it again) that is bare bottomes with plants planted in ceramic containers placed creatively around. I stole the idea myself but I just can't have a bare bottomed tank! Within a week it had sand and more. LOL
:iagree:I think it is a goldfish tank and it may be Inka's.....it is quite lovely and "fresh" looking.

_Ty_

MacGyver wannabe
May 28, 2009
Greensburg, Indiana
TO: Omplmpa3

Seeing your setup gave me an instant and interesting idea....

Paint the pots with off-white and dry brush with a light grey. then seal with a light layer of silicone.

replace the trailerpark esque concrete with concrete coated foam, shaped like old broken greek pillars, painted and sealed to match the terra cotta. these should be all the way to the top of the water.

Pile broken white rocks around to give the impression that things are broken/crumbled.

Everywhere else, a plain brown medium sized substrate.

Perhaps a small bust of Plato somewhere....

voila, instant ancient greek ruins - Just add water.

VickiesZoo

AC Members
Aug 25, 2009
NW IN
Real Name
Vickie
Is there an aquarium safe paint out there? Sponge paint to look like a rock. Or paint leaves.

omplmpa3

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Seeing your setup gave me an instant and interesting idea....

Paint the pots with off-white and dry brush with a light grey. then seal with a light layer of silicone.

replace the trailerpark esque concrete with concrete coated foam, shaped like old broken greek pillars, painted and sealed to match the terra cotta. these should be all the way to the top of the water.

Pile broken white rocks around to give the impression that things are broken/crumbled.

Everywhere else, a plain brown medium sized substrate.

Perhaps a small bust of Plato somewhere....

voila, instant ancient greek ruins - Just add water.
_Ty_, I like your ideas! Tell me more about this amazing decorative element called concrete coated foam and why have I not heard of it before! Is it as basic as it sounds, concrete and foam?

I have been trying to find a 30 breeder for the puffers. Once I get my hands on one, I think I'll try your ideas. I do like reading my Greek mythologies. Pillars in a 30 breeder would look great. Especially with the small size of the puffers. The scale is perfect.

I will stay with the sand substrate because the puffers occasionally nap on top of it.

Hmmmm..... I may have to change their names when I'm finished. "Piglet" and "Blinky" do not conjure up images of ancient Greece.

But this is not the face of a "Zeus".

Copy (3) of IMG_1606_2_2_2.JPG

omplmpa3

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Wisconsin
Noodles62, what are the floating plants in your pics? They're lovely! Most likey will not make it brackish water, but I'd love to try them in my freshwater tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store