Pics of my pigeon bloods, FINALLY out of the bushes!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
I QT all my discus for a month before adding to the main tank. They weren't sick........that was just them. Please do research???? What makes you think I didn't? I did TONS of research, and even went to a discus breeder who suggested taking the 3 out of the main tank and putting them BACK into the QT tank to observe. I did that.......which stressed them out even more. After observing them I learned that they were not sick, just shy. Thanks for the advice, though.
The reason I said to do research is because most of the time people go out and purchase discus not knowing what they are getting themselves into and they end up with stunted discus or the wrong number or both......

You can tell a stunted discus by their large eyes and small bodies.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
The reason I said to do research is because most of the time people go out and purchase discus not knowing what they are getting themselves into and they end up with stunted discus or the wrong number or both......

You can tell a stunted discus by their large eyes and small bodies.
you know what happens when you assume things......

nice looking tank Diann62

shawnhu

AC Members
Oct 31, 2008
New York City
If your discus were hiding for more than a few days they were most likely sick. Please do research before purchasing more discus. You should also quarantine anything for at least 2 weeks prior to introducing it to your community tank so I hope that is part of your plan. For discus I suggest 3-4 weeks of QT.
Holy cow, you're constantly jumping down people's throats are't you? Please don't imply that other people on this forum do not know how to care for their fish, and that you are the only one that does. I'm sure everyone here appreciates the constructive information that you may have, but please, stop the assumptions and stop the be-littling of others.

Great job on the Discus OP, they're looking great indeed! Let us see more pics as you add the other ones to the mix!

bs6749

AC Members
Aug 24, 2008
I QT all my discus for a month before adding to the main tank. They weren't sick........that was just them. Please do research???? What makes you think I didn't? I did TONS of research, and even went to a discus breeder who suggested taking the 3 out of the main tank and putting them BACK into the QT tank to observe. I did that.......which stressed them out even more. After observing them I learned that they were not sick, just shy. Thanks for the advice, though.
Upon rereading your post, it looks like I'm not the only one that thought the discus were sick since the breeder said to put them BACK into the QT tank. The only reason you'd do that would be if they were sick and needed to treat them. Discus are a social fish and they should be out and about constantly if everything is okay. One of the basics learned in discus keeping is when a fish is hiding in the corner or dark and not eating something is wrong. Even if they are hiding in the corner and coming out to eat and then going back into the corner something is wrong. I just picked up 8 juvies 3 weeks ago and brought them home and acclimated them. They gathered in the corner for 10 minutes and then I fed them. They were wary of me at first but they took the food within 5 minutes. I fed them later on that night with no problems and without them huddling together. The next night they were eating out of my hand as I held the bloodworms at the surface. They always come to the tank whenever I walk past begging for food.

I'm curious about your water parameters, namely your temperature. At what temperature do you have your tank set?

Holy cow, you're constantly jumping down people's throats are't you? Please don't imply that other people on this forum do not know how to care for their fish, and that you are the only one that does. I'm sure everyone here appreciates the constructive information that you may have, but please, stop the assumptions and stop the be-littling of others.
I didn't imply that I was the only one that knows how to care for these fish, in fact I've said that I'm no expert but I DO KNOW the basics. The truth is that something is wrong with the fish if they aren't coming out after a few days let alone 2 months. I strongly encourage the OP to post on a discus forum to get more help. I'm certain that she'll be told exactly what I've already stated.

Draal5

AC Members
Apr 23, 2007
congratulations they look fine and happy.

bs6749 its not what you said but how you said it that has people upset.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
If your discus were hiding for more than a few days they were most likely sick. Please do research before purchasing more discus. You should also quarantine anything for at least 2 weeks prior to introducing it to your community tank so I hope that is part of your plan. For discus I suggest 3-4 weeks of QT.
Not true. I've been keeping discus since '89 and have raised dozens of groups of juvies. Each group takes its own time to become comfortable. Hiding is a natural response to fear, which is their primary reaction to the recent trauma they've undergone, of being caught, bagged and moved to a completely new environment. As long as they're eating well, they'll eventually come out and soon become little pigs.

Diane, they look beautiful. Just keep their water warm and clean, and feed them several times a day and they will grow to be big, beautiful pigs.

Mark

waverush

AC Members
Jan 7, 2009
Rochester, NY
Thank you everyone for keeping a sense of maturity and respect in this forum - Thank you for sharing your experiences, Diann!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store