pine cone disease

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Somervell

AC Members
Feb 8, 2009
PA
Real Name
Anne
If it is actually dropsy, you want Maricyn, I think. Even with that, there aren't any guarantees, unfortunatly. Actually, this fish looks almost like a cross between an oranda and some kind of pearlscale. Was this a sudden condition of the fish? Is there evidence of abdominal bloating in addition to the scale protrusion.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
This bloat came on overnight. She was fine; the next morning she looks like a hand grenade. She has definitely bloated up significantly expanding her scales which use to lie flat. I will see if I have a before photograph. Now, too, there is rosey red cast underneath her skin.
To medicate, can I leave her in the tank with the other two fish? They're all eating the medicated food right now.

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
My girl is still hanging in there today. I'd love some advice/suggestions from the group. I've read some old posts about Epsom salts. Must I remove her to another tank or can the other two fish handle it? And, what is the dosage?
Help, please. I hate to lose her.
Thanks.

Cerianthus

AC Members
Jul 9, 2008
In my experience either chloroamphenicol would do the trick (maybe only thru vets if still in circulation).

If you can find Oxolinic acid tablet by API (if still avail), you could try that or Maracyn II (minocycline, I think, a derivatives of TC) or another TC derivatives called OxyTC (terramycin).
Lastly, mix triple sulfa powder (shave tablet with blade to produce powder) with little water and soak food in it. Do not shake triple sulfa with water in closed vial.
Just dissolve by stirring and soak food. This is of course if fish is still eating!

Oh, in optimal water condition (not necessarily new water) whenever medicating.
Good Luck!

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the input. Got home and she's hanging in there. I changed "one scoop" of water this morning and added fresh. She still seems interested in eating but she is getting a bit sluggish. I turned of the water filter (which for a little one really revs up the water) to give her a little rest from trying to stay in one place.
I only have API TC Tetracycline. I'll have to run to the store to get the recommended Maracyn II.
Do I mix the medication and the epsom salt or start with clean water?

gmcb

AC Members
Sep 28, 2008
Pennsylvania
To close out this thread...my goldfish died last night. She was quite a big fish; about 3 inches not including the tail.
Thanks for the input regarding treatment.

Eupterus

The one who takes a different path.
Jul 22, 2007
31 Spooner St. Quahog, RI.
Sorry, dropsy can be extremely difficult and sometimes is fatal no matter what you do.

mel_20_20

AC Members
Sep 1, 2008
Deep in the heart of texas
So sorry for your loss. :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store