Pink Kissing Gourami terror!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
yes i understand.

chaibill

AC Members
Apr 28, 2006
Long Island NY USA
i dont think they can read

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Jon, the aquarium will be upgraded to something bigger in the future. Right now we're living in an apartment and didn't want to get anything over 40-55g. In a year or two when we move into a house, I'll be getting something much much bigger :)

Right now the fish are relatively small. Probably the biggest is 2" max.
sounds good. to help remedy aggression now, try lowering the temp a degree or two and adding some more decor to the tank.

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
well. while i was at work today they seem to have worked it out lol. they're peacefully swimming around together. figures.

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
maybe i spoke too soon. there they go again. tank temp is 77 degrees right now.

Ruben Tolon

last of a dying breed
Aug 20, 2000
Miami, FL
if the 'spotted climbing perch' is a Ctenopoma sp. a.k.a. african leaf fish, then I would expect it to become pretty aggressive if not the dominant fish at some point. I had one briefly in my 125 and it would constantly harass a significantly larger chocolate cichlid. Why not remove one of the kissers and then re-introduce it in a week or so and moving the rocks/decor around before doing so.

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
the only problem is the only other tank i have is the 10 gallon with the two dwarf puffers which is set at 80 degrees.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
if the 'spotted climbing perch' is a Ctenopoma sp. a.k.a. african leaf fish, then I would expect it to become pretty aggressive if not the dominant fish at some point. I had one briefly in my 125 and it would constantly harass a significantly larger chocolate cichlid. Why not remove one of the kissers and then re-introduce it in a week or so and moving the rocks/decor around before doing so.
if you take one of the kissing gouramis out, the other will think it has driven it from its territory. then, once it is introduced back into the tank the dominant gourami will attack it again. your best bet is to leave them in the tank but to rearrange the decor every week or so. IME, it takes them about a week-and-a-half to two weeks to fully establish their territories and realize that there are other male gouramis in the tank. rearranging every week will help keep this from happening be scrambling up the look of the tank.

gregm

AC Members
May 14, 2007
Albuquerque, NM
i'll try that. the smaller one follows around the big one non stop until it gets chased away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store