Plant deficiency?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
I have a sword plant that is melting at the base of the leaf. Please find picture attached. The mature leaves are ok but new leaves are having this problem. Can anyone identify a possible cause of the problem? (Tank: 90g; ADA Aquasoil substrate; 156W of T5 light 8 hours a day; No CO2; No fertilizers. )DSCF3798.JPG

DSCF3798.JPG

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'm assuming it's T5HO for it to be that much total wattage? How long have you had the current substrate?

Swords are heavy root feeders and so some root tabs may give them a quick boost. Your lack of a carbon source at that level of light may also be a hindrance. That's my best advice.

I don't know much about ADA outside of some research on other forums. Like any soil it can "run out" of nutrients eventually, but still has a good CEC and can be "replenished" so to speak through water column dosing or adding amendments to the soil. A lot of the info I've been reading has come from Tom Barr, but I don't think he visits AC very anymore if at all, unfortunately...but hopefully someone else with firsthand experience will chime in...

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
The substrate is only 18 month old. I have some root tabs and also API Leaf Zone that I can use. I will add them for a few weeks and we'll see. I have noticed similar problems with the Vals. For the past few weeks, I have noticed a lot more floating leaves when I change water every week. The only change in the past few weeks is the temperature. It is winter here so the water probably drops to under 18°c at night. Can that be an possible cause?

HybridHerp

AC Members
Jun 8, 2012
New York (Long Island)
If you are doing a 90 gallon tank with....3 bulbs is that?.....with no co2 and no fert dosing, that is your problem.

You are at high light, and because of that, the plants need co2 and ferts to keep up with the amount of growth they are trying to do given the light they are getting. Even though your tank has good substrate, that is not enough.

Look into getting a pressurized co2 setup and look into dosing methods, either PPS-Pro, or EI. I recommend EI for a tank this size (thats what I do for my 75 gallon) but either method should work.

gsparsan

AC Members
Dec 2, 2007
I used to have CO2 canisters and Leaf Zone but there was too much growth and was quite demanding on maintenance. Do you think cutting back on light will help? I have 8 T5 tubes of 39W each, but I leave only 4 on. I have individual switches for the light so I can keep only 2 on. If that doesn't work I'll have to revert back to CO2.

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
I'd definitely cut back on light without the CO2. Even for a 24" deep tank I would think 2 bulbs of T5HO would be sufficient.

Also, that temp is a bit on the low side for the swords (Vals should be ok) but for only a short period of time I don't think it's too big of an issue.

And even after cutting back on the light I would still suggest giving the sword something in terms of ferts/root tabs for in the substrate.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store