Plant ID

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

codywils34

AC Members
Dec 4, 2011

Plant ID.jpg

Does anyone know what type of plant this is? I've had it in my tank for over a year with absolutely no growth but it has held up. It is gathered at the bottom by some thread. Thanks in advance!

Plant ID.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash

codywils34

AC Members
Dec 4, 2011
ooops...duh...LOL....looks like one of those non aquatic jobies they sell at big box stores, which would explain it not growing. Did you buy this in a tube?
No, no tube. I'm aware of the scams that go on there. I bought it out of a tank in a decent size, clean pet store. It does seem like it has some green spots now though.. Maybe it has been there the whole time though. If it where a non aquatic plant wouldn't it have died and melted by now?

Ashes2ashes

Smash the owl!
May 4, 2010
Cola town SC
Real Name
Ash
I'm dreadful at plant ID, and I def have no idea what it specifically is, but judging by the roots and rhizome, if I had to guess I would say it was some sort of fern. We have a lot of really good plant people on AC though, so hopefully one of them will weigh in soon. =)

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
Trichomanes javavicum "Borneo fern" or "Aquatic fern" - A very popular plant. Sold in pots, or more recently, in clear plastic tubes with plant-growing gel, the leaves of this terrestrial fern can remain green for months in the aquarium, while the rhizome decays in the substrate, polluting the water without the aquarist even being aware that something is amiss. Eventually, the leaves will blacken and die.
Aquatic Alternatives - Bolbitis heudelotii looks almost exactly the same and is a true aquatic. Microsorium pteropus, especially var. "windelov" is another alternative.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/297782-a-survey-of-non-aquatic-plants/

Pearl

AC Members
Aug 12, 2009
Michigan
Real Name
Vicki
Here is a picture of bolbitus.

Bolbitus.jpg

I could be wrong, but your plant looks like a non-aquatic fern.

Bolbitus.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store