Plant identification Help needed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neutral_Water

AC Members
Aug 18, 2017
Australia, WA
So i found some of these plants in the lake that is literally in our backyard. I have a rough idea one of them is a type of barcopa however I'm Just wondering what are they, I've previously planted some in my fish tank and they are doing good I can afford to lose these plants as they literally infest the lake, I do wash these thoroughly and unlike the moss I find I do not tend to soak them for a few days as these plants seem totally okay once washed. I just wanna know if these are good for my aquarium cause I'll be saving a lot of money instead of buying my plants. P.s to help narrow it down I live in West Australia, Perth and don't worry about the murky photo of those plants there weren't any fish and was in the process of setting up and the water has since been cleaned up (this tank is new however I transferred the bacteria from my nature tank into this tank via the filter and filled up this 30 gallon with about 1/3 of mature tank water into it and let it filter for three days with a 1000 litre filter before adding anything) Last Photo contains all the plant species so it's good for identification (taken without fish in yet, I have since moved some of the plants around) cheers for any help given

IMG_5943.JPG

IMG_5944.JPG

IMG_5946.JPG

IMG_5948.JPG

IMG_5949.JPG

IMG_5953.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

IMG_5962.JPG

IMG_5952.JPG

IMG_5970.JPG

IMG_5978.JPG

IMG_5980.JPG

IMG_5958.JPG

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, if those are native plants to Australia, I have to say many of us on AC are in the US. The second to last looks like it could be Bacopa. Did you buy them in a shop? Mondo grass is not truly aquatic if that's what it is...others I have no idea.

Neutral_Water

AC Members
Aug 18, 2017
Australia, WA
Well, if those are native plants to Australia, I have to say many of us on AC are in the US. The second to last looks like it could be Bacopa. Did you buy them in a shop? Mondo grass is not truly aquatic if that's what it is...others I have no idea.
Oh sorry, thank you for confirming the barcopa thing No I got these from the lake in my backyard. Thanks for the help mate o7

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
The first single stem laid on tile prefers to be emergent grown, so is not very suited to the aquarium. I have tried it and not succeeded with that one. There are lots of bog type plants that grow in the shallow waters also that do not do well fully submerged. The bacopa is the only one I recognize from tried and true aquarium plants. Those others may or may not do well so you will have to see. That is part of the fun of collecting your own plants.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Keep in mind that true plan ID requires flowering. There are several species of bacopa, but at a guess, you have B monnieri, since that's the species native to Australia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store