Plant stems are deteriorating!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
Hey guys,
So I have got a question. A while back I started to put live plants in my tank (January or so). The plant were basically just wisteria. When I first put them in they grew a bit, for maybe a couple of weeks but from that point on they have not grown a single bit and they are starting to deteriorate (the stem) right near the gravel to a point where it becomes fibers and then finally breaks free and floats to the top of the tank. I have tried to replant but the same thing happens again and again and I am running out of stem lol! Funny thing is that if I let it float for a couple of days the plant will start to turn up towards the light and begins to grow some roots so I don't think the plants are dead. I am low light, 1 watt per gallon for 20 gallon tank. I am wondering what is happening and how to get the plants to thrive. I always heard that wisteria was a super easy plant to grow but I seem to be having problems.

Any advice?

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
we'll need to know your fert schedule, gh, type of lighting, co2 if any and maybe filtration/equipment on the tank.

secondly a pic of the plant in question down to the substrate might be a good idea.

you may just need more or better lighting.

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
No ferts, no CO2, and a HOB filter. I will try to get a picture for you when I can.

guppymonkey

AC Members
Sep 5, 2009
Michigan
I have the same problem in my 55gal tank. I have been told to try a few of these ideas.
1. Switch to better light. the spectrum may be to low and should have 5500K.
2. Substrate to thick. If you have to deep of substrate the nutrients may b to low. I have put the plants around an under-gravel filter pipe and they did much better.
3. Buried the crown of the plant. The base maybe buried and can kill the plant. wrap a weight to the base of the plant to hold it down and let the roots dig themselves in.

I have done all but the light change. I am working on designing a hood using compact fluorescent reflector floods. But The math is for finding PAR and such is still sketchy.

Juice

KillaOJ
Jan 4, 2009
NorCal
I had the same problem, I bought a bundle of 4 wisteria plants and 3 of the 4 pretty much wilted away within the first few days ( not bad considering I had 3 left) the others seemed to do well and even grew roots farther up on the stem so I was able to dig them in a little better and from that point on they thrived. Mind you I'm working with low lights, no ferts, no co2. Maybe get some root tabs and bury them underneath your wisteria?

ODPILOT

AC Members
Nov 5, 2009
Here's what I think -- been there and done this -- Plants need 3 main things to survive: 1) LIGHT 2) C02 3) Nitrates and fertillizers. If your plants are dying, it's not because your substrate is too deep -- this is what roots are for. Aquatic plants need a good substatrate that contains fertilizers and minerals to help with their growth -- flourite is one of them, which is very good. If you have old flourite or have vacuumed it enough during water changes, you have likely removed alot of the substrate nutrients that the plant roots need. Your light is too low. No matter what anyone says -- you need bright light to grow these plants. If you have alot of fish and/or big fish, then you likely already have enough C02, but if you don't, then try making a DIY C02 generator - you will see your plants grow like they are on steroids.
The base of your leaves are dying because the plants are dying because they are missing one or a combination of all 3 of the above.

13enzene

AC Members
Oct 16, 2008
Ok so I got some pictures of what is happening with the stems. The first picture is of a plant still sort of attached to the substrate and the second is of a plant that has broken free and what it looks like after.

As for the 3 things you have said, I can get the CO2 and fertalizers (which I just bought) but with lighting I am screwed. No 20 gallon hoods have more then one bulb and that one bulb gives me a max of 1 watt per gallon. I have looked at all the fish stores around here and even tried advertising for a hood that could hold more bulbs but alas nothing.

DSC_0117.JPG DSC_0118.JPG

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
Is it a 20 long or tall? Is online ordering an option?

Before jumping into lighting, try the ferts and CO2 first. Upgrading lighting should be a last resort IMO.

I know of people who have been successful keeping wisteria in lower lighting and I never added much fertilizer or any CO2 when I kept mine so maybe that is the missing part of the equation.

dundadundun

;sup' dog? ;woof and a wwwoof!
Jan 21, 2009
S.E. PA
tank looks dim... what kind of lighting? incandescent will not work at 1wpg afaik.

what/where did you order ferts? dry are the cheapest, most reliable, most commonly used and most documented on the web. you'll get the most/best help with them... results too.

co2 is probably unnecessary. your hob will de-gas it anyway. if you feel the need for it you might try a liquid carbon supplement. that's a daily chore and probably unnecessary anyway though.

if all else fails... light, ferts, co2... check your gh and see if it's low.

assuming you're using a 20 watt incandescent bulb you might want to check your local walmart for "ge daylight 6500k spiral cfl" bulbs.

sorry pappy, but that does look like incandescent and the mention of the hood almost seals the deal for me. color and intensity seem to indicate from the photos...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store