Planted 30

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Elmo

AC Members
Dec 8, 2001
London, Ontario
Well after about a year, its time to get back into this hobby. Over the past little while I've torn down all my tanks. I am in the process of starting up my 30G, it will be fairly well planted, and I'm trying to decide on how to stock it. Would a firemouth and a con get along in this size tank, possibly with a few rasboras or such fish?

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
1. Temperment. A firemouth and a con could get along in this tank, ive kept firemouths and cons together for a while, but eventually the cons killed all my firemouths. But that was in a 55g with lots of each fish, but from the stand point of temperment and aggressiveness they can get along, but cons are more aggressive so the problem you might have will be with the con attacking the other fish. Personally i would go with a lone convict or firemouth with a few rasboras, or other like fish. You could also maybe go with a bredding pair of either fish.
2. Planted tank. Convicts are notoriously known as aggressive diggers and can change a tanks decor in a matter of hours, if they feel like it. I have pea sized gravel in 1 of my 55g about 1.5" from bottom, and they dig all the way down to the bottom glass the next day after i rearrange the tank. IF you have Planted plants in there they will uproot your plants in no time, this does not necessarily apply to all convicts but most, and will probably be a problem.

Im not sayin do one thing or another, im just giving you my advice from personal experience, and let you decide on what you'd like to do, and if you'd like to risk gettin plants uprooted and maybe losing a few fish, be my guest.

Elmo

AC Members
Dec 8, 2001
London, Ontario
Good to know, so I guess the way to go would be a single Firemouth and a small school of something.

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
That would probably yield the best outcome with the least dead fish, you could probably even do a pair of firemouths (breeding), over 2 males, but it could be done, and firemouths are a beautiful fish, esp when they puff up, a lot like a male betta, it is quite amusing

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store