Planted 40 hex ideas

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JackM

AC Members
Feb 11, 2017
So I got a great deal on a 40 gallon hex. It is 3 feet wide and 21 inch tall and I would love to have it be a planted tank. I have only done one planted tank before and it is my 10 gallon medium/low light tank. I wanted to do a carpet of micro sword so it looked like grass and some other taller plants that are medium to high light. I have some in mind but before I get too excited I want to see if high light is in my budget. I was looking at some Fluval T5 fixtures that hold 4 bulbs, would I need 4 bulbs or the one that holds two? Also I know I will need a CO2 system so I was going to get gas injection one but since there isn't as much gas exchange because it is a hex could I also have a bubbler for increased oxygen or would that mess up my CO2 system? Any advice would be great because I am new to the planted tank scene and while I love all my other tanks my one little planted is my favorite and I want more.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Got a pic of that hex tank?

JackM

AC Members
Feb 11, 2017
Got a pic of that hex tank?
IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0815.JPG

I was going to get rid of the undergravel filter and build a canister one since I would like it up against the wall and don't care for undergravel filters. Please pardon the huge mess in the background, I am getting ready to move in the next two weeks so everything is everywhere. Speaking of which if anyone has easier ways to move fish and aquariums I would love some tips on that too, my way takes awhile and I haven't had to do it in awhile.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
You could use the canister to drive the UGF as a RUGF....

JackM

AC Members
Feb 11, 2017
You could use the canister to drive the UGF as a RUGF....
I haven't had a good time with UGF or RUGF in the past and only have them in my Betta tank since it is just one fish and only 5 gallons. Do you think the two T5 bulbs are enough for a medium/high light tank or should I go for the 4 tube T5 lights?

JackM

AC Members
Feb 11, 2017
Those are high output t5 bulbs so I'd go with the 2 bulb fixture which will provide medium light . 4 bulbs would be really high light.
I also was looking at LED's for something more efficient. Does anyone have any opinions on the Finnex Planted+ 24/7? I have heard good things for my depth of tank but I have a friend who has the same brand for her saltwater tank and it got water in it and broke within 2 months.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
I have the planted plus 24/7 on my 17" deep 40 gallon tank.
It provides medium light, I'd say, and I do have a decent carpet of Pearlweed, but it would show lower PAR at the substrate for your deeper tank, so a carpet of microsword may or may not be doable.
I'd guess you could have good luck with medium light plants if you dose CO2, otherwise you may be limited to low/medium light plants.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I would likely skip any sort of UGF in a planted tank too.

Also, I would look at LEDs over T5s also, they are more controllable with respect to intensity and color so you can ramp up and down, and dim more easily if they become too much,

I do like the Planted+ 24/7, nut not keen on the cycle mode, it doesn't ever seem to get dark, and is on a tank that's next to the bed can be an issue.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
Yeah, the planted plus fixture I have would not be a good choice in a bedroom. I was surprised at how bright the tank is even at 10 pm, for example. Even when just the moonlight is on from midnight to about 4am, it is brighter than one may want in a bedroom.
I understand the new planted plus addresses this issue and does go completely dark for a few hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store