planted freshwater tank question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

g. mcclean

AC Members
Mar 26, 2003
new jersey
Visit site
I have had a freshwater tank for several years. I used to have a planted freshwater tank MANY years ago. At that time noone used plastic plants, but I don't remember how to set one up properly. Do I still use an undergravel filter? What is used for the substrate? Any help would be appreciated, or links to information. Thanks in advance.

brianfl

AC Members
Apr 7, 2003
South Florida
Visit site
You may want to post this in the plant forum. That is where the experts hang out. You won't want to use an under gravel filter for a number of reasons. The substrate will partially depend on the type(s) of plants you will use. If it is to be heavily planted you will probably need carbon dioxide injection and also adequate lighting.

Occult

AC Members
Jan 18, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Some of the things will depend on what kind of plants you want to keep. But the first things you have to consider is your lighting and substrate. A good place for lighting kits is ahsupply.com. As far as substrate goes, I use flourite, but there are other options. As for a filter, canister filters are considered to be very good for planted tanks.

Hope I could help you more, but I still have quite a bit to learn myself. :D

Tiburon72

AC Members
Apr 17, 2003
San Diego,California
Visit site
Planted Aquarium...!

:D :cool: Well having a planted aquarium is a lot of fun, but at the same time is a lot of work and attention to detail. Let's see first you need to decide what type of plants you are wanting to equip your tank with, then you need to use a substrate which will absorb and maintain all the minerals and salts your plants will need. Such as laterite, flourite or a onyx substrate.

You will need to figure out the lighting requirements of the specimens you select, and then you have to find out what type of water chemistry these plants will need, becuase some specimens trive in brackish or alkeline water, (water with a ph higher than 7.0 which is water consired with a neutral ph). and then some need acidid or soft water, which is water with a ph of 6.9 or lower.

once you figure all of these parameters out, you will have to at least once a week or every two weeks, add a liquid iron fertilizer, some plants require a strong level of chelated iron to be present within the water column. and last but not least ensure the fish you will house with the plants have some similitaries with the water chemistry requirements of the plants, oh you will run into some problems.

Hopefully any of this advice was or is helpful, like my fellow comrades, I to have a lot more to learn.

Most sincerely Yours
Tiburon72:p :p

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store