Plants From Aquabid - Permits

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

H2OGarden

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Louisiana USA
Anybody import/order plants through Aquabid? I want mosses but they seem to need permits to enter the country (US) or cross state lines? Is this a viable option to order mosses or should I try to buy them elsewhere. Where do you get good quality low-light mosses such as Star, Christmas, and Flame, or even Java which I can't find locally. Also, plants such as Java fern, very small anubias species, ludwigia, and crypts?

Reasonable prices for plants and shipping aprreciated. Planning for shrimp tank so sources free of planaria, hydra, and snails important.

n00b here!

Thank you!

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
I can ask him if he has a website, or for his email for you :) I will post when he gets back to me. He does moderate on the planted tank.net, but I dn't think he sells there very frequently.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Several of the plants you mentioned pop up fairly frequent in the classified section on here. I'd avoid the oversea's sellers, I bought from one of the ones that sell alot of different mosses they were all dead or died shortly after arriving. I believe the seller was in Malaysia sells on ebay and AB.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
If you are bringing plants in from overseas you will need a US Fish and Wildlife Service permit in order to import them as well as a USDA PPQ permit. They are fairly simple to get but take a little time. If your only bringing in a few plants the cost is not worth it.

There are no permits required for bringing plants across state lines within the US. However different states have different regulations concerning non native plants. Some common aquarium plants are banned and some states have a "white" list where all plants are banned unless they are on the list. I would check with your local Department of Natural Resources to see what is legal to possess in your state.

Andy

H2OGarden

AC Members
Nov 10, 2009
Louisiana USA
Thank you, Andy, for clearing up that confusion. I'll just have to look around in the US for various plants instead of one-stop Aquabid shopping, LOL.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
A couple of places I can suggest would be Jeff Michels at www.aquaticclarity.com or Ted Judy at www.tedsfishroom.com. They bring in plants from Singapore regularly and you can order from them and then you don't have to worry about the legal red tape.

I just got some nice Cryptocoryne tonkinensis from Jeff a few weeks ago.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store