Plants in a low-light aquarium with UGF

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mhmh

AC Members
Sep 19, 2002
The Poconos of PA
home.nyc.rr.com
Since my 90 gallon has been running successfully for a few months now, I bought a 10 gallon for quarantine. I have 3 adult guppies and 9 fry, and two golden wonder killifish. The tank has a Penguin mini filter (no biowheel) and a bubble wand. The gravel is natural colored stone. I have a couple of anubias nana plants and some java moss. I was really just using this for quarantine and for learning about plants, but people who see it love it-I guess because it's so populated with plants.

Once the quarantine for the plants is over, can I put the anubias nana into small clay pots and move them to the 90 gallon, where I'm using an undergravel filter? What should I fill the pots with--can I just use gravel? What other plants might do well in pots in this tank? It has a standard double fluorescent fixture, for a total of 80 watts.

Also, will the java moss do well, attached to rocks?

Can you recommend a good floating plant that can deal with fairly heavy current? I have two 802 powerheads and a bubble wand keeping things agitated. I was thinking anachris, but how would I keep it in place with all that current?

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Java moss should do fine in low light. I don't know about anachris, I can't find any! However, this is how I keep my floating plants in place:

It's not bad if you can get past the look of the suction cups. They are just the ones for keeping airline tubing in place. the outsy end fits tightly into 1/4" tubing (bought by the foot at home hardware store), you really have to jam it in. 5/16" seems to fit nice, but once it gets wet, it is too loose. It floats and allows for a degree of water evaporation.

superstein61

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Pittsburgh
Visit site
I keep my floating plants in place by keeping them in bunches tied at the bottom - and then using a twist tie attached to the bottom stems and the other end of the twist tie up on either my center brace - or over the back edge . My glass covers sit on top of the twist tie holding them in place

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store