Plastic Strip at Back of Glass Canopy Top

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Does anyone know an easy way to attach the plastic back strip to the glass canopy for covering the tank? I have tried sliding it on and snapping it on and neither works.
Any suggestions?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The cut to fit strip should push right onto the glass. The plastic strip's [ shape should shove onto the glass's flat edge.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
Key word is "should". I have 3 tanks set up and none of the plastic strips has slid on easily for me. Two are partially on, and this last won't go on at all. I get it slid on about 4 inches and then I can't get it to go any further. If I slip one end on and then try to attach the other end, the first one pops off. I thought maybe there was some trick to it that I am missing.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
3 of my 4 tanks have aqueon versa-top glass tops on them. The only time I take the plastic strips off are to trim to fit them. They do go on hard. Try heating the strip up with a hair dryer or hot water first. It should go on firmly and stay there.

The only other thing I can think of is could the back strips and tops be mis-matched? Each size glass tops uses different thicknesses of glass, requiring different thicknesses of plastic strips. There's also two brands of glass tops. Aqueon's Versa-Top and Marineland glass tops. They're both different as well.

biondoa

AC Members
Feb 6, 2015
NC
Real Name
Alison
this one that I was struggling with today is the Marineland one. I will try your suggestion of applying a little heat. I think some hot water might be just the thing.
Thanks Freshy.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I currently have 6 tanks up and running, all with versa all glass covers. 3 have the glass covers cut 3 - 4" short of the end of the tank, and are resting on an aluminum L shaped bar that runs from back to front of tank. I have never used the strips, always leave it open, and never had an issue in 10 years. Good luck.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Start on one corner and then work it on across from there.
+1

Also, a very small dab of silicone on the tip of your finger applied along the edge of the glass will greatly ease the plastic sliding onto the glass.

Mark

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
All else fails, get a running start from one end of the room.

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I have also had difficulty attaching the plastic back strip to the glass canopy so don't feel alone!

I like to stand the glass section vertically on a hard surface, such as a counter top, lightly wet the edges of the glass and then slide one corner of the plastic back strip onto the glass and 'walk' it down the rest of the glass. This method usually works well for me though sometimes it takes a couple tries to get it on correctly.

If you are a klutz like me, it helps to wear a pair of work gloves to avoid nicking your hands by any sharp edges on either the plastic strip or the glass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store