Platies Had Babies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Filter

AC Members
Apr 8, 2004
Visit site
My 2 platies had babies tonight!!!!!!!!!!

10 little guys. My aquarium collapsed earlier. There's a reason for everything. Maybe the reason was so I could see the little guys in the fishbowl and take care of them. Any tips?

OldVamp

Blue Mole Shrimp
Dec 29, 2003
Sparta, TN
www.oldvamp.com
I seperated my first batch of platies but stoped after that, and most of them still survived. I feed them powered flake and freeze dried brine shrimp.
I started with 1 male and 3 females, and now I've got platies comeing out of my ears, gonna have to start doing something with them soon.

Tando Mando

AC Members
Apr 12, 2004
Planet Earth
Visit site
Just the basic stuff. Keep them away from larger fish that might eat them. Feed them pulverized/powder-fine flake food; do NOT overfeed; and transfer them as little as possible. Best way is to have them in a baby net hanging on the side. That way, they get good water circulation, food on the bottom gets eaten by the bigger fish, and you can see them easily and monitor their growth and progress.
If you have a plant with lots of algae on it, put that in the baby net with them. It provides hidey places, they may pick at the algae, and it also provides an interesting aqua scape for them to explore.

Filter

AC Members
Apr 8, 2004
Visit site
Well. I have all the fish in a fry container. It's floating in the aquarium. Keeps things looking good while they're in there. All the big fish want in there SO bad. I also added some gill and scale protectant to help them along. There's been alot of activity around my tank the past couple days. All in all, WAHT A HASSLE this is gonna be. That and if they all survive I don't know what I'll do with all these platies.

How does it work with the fish's mother. I heard she'll eat them, but dos she know or have any maternal instinct for them?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store