Platies swimming too slow to get food during feeding

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

3woodlandcreatures

AC Members
Jul 23, 2016
I have the New Life Spectrum Thera regular formula pellets. One solution that seems to work ok is if i entice the faster ones with 3-4 pellets (so they all gather around closely) and while feeding the platies with the other hand very closely. Usually the tetras and danios won't have noticed in time.

Side note: I have 2 males and 1 female platy. Will she be stressed from being outnumbered by the males? I've seen the larger of the two males following her around closely while she's sort of swimming around with little shakes? Is he trying to mate with her?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
What you have witnessed sounds like spawning behaviour to me. It is very possible that she will be stressed by the males, I used to refer to male livebearers as high school boys. . . they never leave the females alone.

*No offense to any high school boys out there. Its just the one metaphor I found that worked for customers*

Ideally, your livebearers should always have at least a 1:2 male to female ratio.

GuppyKeeper32

AC Members
Aug 5, 2016
What you have witnessed sounds like spawning behaviour to me. It is very possible that she will be stressed by the males, I used to refer to male livebearers as high school boys. . . they never leave the females alone.

*No offense to any high school boys out there. Its just the one metaphor I found that worked for customers*

Ideally, your livebearers should always have at least a 1:2 male to female ratio.
Ha, I love the metaphor! Very true. A 1:3 ratio is even better for mollies, if you can do it, but 1:2 would be the bare minimum. For guppies, I use 1:3 or even up to 1:5, because the males are so aggressive, and the females are very easily stressed. For feeding, I just pinch the flakes in my fingers and wet them in the water so that they sink for small tanks, and I would use the baster for larger ones.

Gk

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
Oh, keep this in mind:
If you ever have a pair of fish already don't try and introduce one more, IMO. I had a male and a female pair of mollies whom murdered the next female I introduced.

Good luck!

GuppyKeeper32

AC Members
Aug 5, 2016
Oh, keep this in mind:
If you ever have a pair of fish already don't try and introduce one more, IMO. I had a male and a female pair of mollies whom murdered the next female I introduced.

Good luck!
I think there may have been other issues involved, like an already unstable, stressed female, because mostly mollies are relatively peaceful fish. I constantly introduce new breeders to my lines and have no aggression issues whatsoever, except for over mating if I have the wrong male/female ratio. Also, is it possible your betta killed the molly? Or did you actually see the others do it? Characteristics of betta attacks are ripped/torn fins, scales missing, and small bites in fins. I had a little crown tail rip up one of my show guppies, but the bites were so tiny I suspected my other fish, until I spotted the usually peaceful betta attacking another guppy. Of course the betta was removed, and the attacks stopped. I love bettas, but IMHO, they are best kept either solitary, or with plenty of room to keep clear of other fish. Of course, every betta is different, but you have to think of all the possibilities. I've noticed that floating my mollies and guppies helps reduce aggression as well, since the fish get "used" to each other.

Gk

Aquaticfrog32

AC Members
Mar 17, 2016
My Betta is an angel. Very sweet.
I didn't see the others actually kill her, but the usually peaceful male was being very aggressive, and the usually aggressive female was just being mean. Together, I think they stressed her to death.

whenAshes.remain

AC Members
Sep 16, 2016
CT
Real Name
Trev
The benefit to a flake type food is... some will float and others will sink. That way all the fish have a chance to eat. Amount? A healthy pinch should be enough for a 20g. So far as schedule every other day should be fine. I personally feed 6x weed with one day of nada. This has worked for me. Don't worry... they won't starve to death. I just think flakes are better for mid and bottom water dwellers.

whenAshes.remain

AC Members
Sep 16, 2016
CT
Real Name
Trev
Get your beloved betta a nice little home. Not too little though! I just got a Marineland Silhouette three gallon for a gorgeous delta betta and not only is the tank gorgeous but he's very content. As was stated... bettas do better in their own little place. They don't like deep water.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store