Platy fry with open mouth

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leeeonard

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2022
My platy Peeper had her fry just a few days shy of 4 weeks ago. They're big enough for me to observe them, and I'm noticing two of the fry are a bit different. One of them, whom I'm not particularly worried about, seems to be missing the gill flap on its left side. The other, who is smaller than its siblings, has the same issue but its mouth is constantly open. It keeps moving its mouth like it's opening and closing it, to give you an idea, but of course it can't seem to close it all the way. It swims around just fine and is as curious as the others. I'm new to fishkeeping, and happened to buy Peeper not knowing she was pregnant, so I'm not quite sure of what to do here. Will the little guy be okay?

They're in a 10 gallon tank at 78 degrees Fahrenheit. Ammonia and nitrite are zero, but I don't know the other parameters since the lfs closes pretty early. There are a total of six babies in that tank, with some live hornwort - which brought an infestation of bladder snails, so I also have an assassin snail in the tank.

Last edited:

leeeonard

Registered Member
Mar 30, 2022
Update: I've noticed the other fry are showing signs of aggression towards the gaspy one. They'll lunge at it and chase it away, even though there isn't food in the tank at the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store