Please help ID this fish!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Ok so today I went fishing and caught the fish below. It might be some sort of a tout, but I am unsure. I also spotted what looks like a worm, passing through its dossal fins, near the end, could be a parasite. You can clearly see in from both pictures below. What are your recommendations on how to get rid of this hitchhiker? And can someone give me a positive ID for this fish?

DaisyTattoo

AC Members
Jan 11, 2006
Illinois
I've held a goldie and used tweezers to get a stuck rock out of its mouth. Rubber gloves are a God send when you have to do something like that.

Nolapete

Monster Tank Builder
May 29, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Belongs to the perch family and likes cooler waters than your angel does. 70-72. Definitely remove the parasitic worm from his dorsal. You really shouldn't keep him unless you can provide him with a large tank and lots of live critters to eat like crickets, earthworms, small fish, etc.

southpaw

Lefty
Jun 7, 2007
Tennessee
Might want to check your local wildlife laws aswell... You might be breaking them by keeping a wild fish without some sort of permit...but I could be wrong

FishyMatty

FishKiller
Jan 30, 2007
Milford,CT
Its a sunny. or sunfish. Do you also realize how bad of an idea that was putting it in with your fish. Other then the fact that you can see a parasite with your eyes and you introduced it into your tank and not to mention the countless other bacteria that could have come with it. And you cant keep it with your angle, sunnies are cold water fish.

enrique4jc

AC Members
Oct 17, 2006
Russell Springs, KY
Real Name
Eric
It's definitely something from the Sunfish (Centrarchidae) family. It is a coldwater fish, and as was stated above, probably came with its own special collection of bacteria and parasites. Be careful with your other fishy friends. It will be a very messy fish in your aquarium as well. I think its cool to want to house it, but I'd want to put it in a different tank. Also, as stated above, check the laws to make sure its legal for you to keep it.

Master Zero

AC Members
Sep 5, 2005
Thanks for the reply, the tank is a 125, but I will be getting a 300 soon, and the temperature is set to around 75. After checking the laws, and quarantining the Sunfish. Would it be a better idea to transfer him to an outdoor pond?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store